Butts

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me out. I am going to do three butts tomorrow. One at a time is all I have done in the past. All I could get at the grocery tonight was three small ones, 4.1, 1.8, and 1.75 pounds respectively. Any ideas on how long these may take. Should I be throwing on the larger one earlier? Does it matter which rack (top or bottom)? Thanks for all the help

Clark

I have no idea on a cut that small, figure it's 1 1/2 hours per lb normally, wouldn't expect those small ones to take more then 2-3 hours and the larger one around 6-8 hours at 225.

In the mean time find yourself a BJ's, Costco, Sams Club or a good butcher where you can get nice sized butts.
icon_smile.gif

Good call! I live on the far west coast of Vancouver Island so it's a three hour drive to a good butcher! Normally I go once a month but everyone's coming for the fights tomorrow! Thanks for the help, it will give me a good time line to start with!!!

I'd be half tempted to tie the two little ones together with some kitchen string and cook them as one big butt, making the 2 "hunks" on your WSM pretty close to the same size.

I find the smaller the butt, the harder it is to get the temp to stall on the way up, meaning you can blow straight through the plateau and never end up with a nice tender piece of meat.

Shame on your current supplier for giving you such small butts.

Sir Mix-a-lot said it best.......

Thanks for all the advice. I received the tying together of the butts advice a little after they were on but no worries they all three turned out great, very tender and oulled no problem. Just one more question though, the four pounder took 14 hours and the small ones took 9 and 9 and a half hours respectively. The tempo was between 225 and 250 the entire time. Does this make any sense? thanks again for everyones help it is really appreciated!

Back