Butts - preferred rack position

Steve Johns

Just wondering which rack you typically use for butts. I have always used the bottom rack and use the larger brinkman water pan, temps at the lid from 225-250. This has tended toward some fairly long cooks in the 18-22 hr. range. Should I use the top rack to shorten things up a bit? I am under some time constraints this weekend and would like to shoot for a 16-18hr cook.

I usually just cook one 6-7 lb'er but I might put two on this weekend. If I go for two, would you put one on each rack (bigger on top), orboth together?

Thanks for your help

Personally I would put one butt on each rack or both on the top rack. 22 hours seems a bit long for what my butts generally cook, seems 18 hours is my magic number. You may want to try to open the bottom vents a bit more to raise the cooker temp; butts are very forgiving and I have noticed no difference from cooking at closer to 275 degrees than 225 (other than decreased cooking times).
Also do whatever you can to leave the lid on. Seems some of my best butts have been the ones I have been too busy to "fuss with" at all (same holds true with my ribs). Give a few quick sprays of apple juice/cider vinegar mix now and then after they have been going for 8-10 hours.
I think you should have no problem getting them off in less than 18 hours.
Also rely on how it feels more so than the temp the meat registers. I have had some I was shooting for 195-200 internal that registered closer to 185 and wiggled like Jell-O and practically fell apart. Probably saved quite a bit of time by not waiting for that desired internal temp to register.
After all, it's done when it's done!
Jamie

The last time I did a butt on the lower rack it wasn't cooked all the way through. The bottom side was about 170 while the topside was 190. I pulled the done parts and then finished the rest in the oven. So if you cook on the bottom rack I would recommend flipping the butt or swapping it to the top rack 1/2 way through.

I always cook them (one or two butts) on the top rack. I like the higher heat and the lack of difference in cook times like Bill mentions. I'm not one for fussing with a cook once started (no mopping, flipping, etc.) so both on the top works for me.

Jamieson,
There have been times when I don't even take the lid off 'til the meat temp hits 185. I just squirt down through the top vent onto it lol.
Most times anymore though, I can't use the smoker without my son wanting some J-ville Brats tossed on near the end of the cook. Ok, I want them also.
icon_wink.gif

If I'm only doing enough to fill one grate, I use the top. It has nothing to do with temperature, and everything to do with the fact that it's easier for me to take it/them off at the end of the cook.

Thanks so much for the info. Assuming they'll fit, I'll put both butt's on the top rack. Weather for the big cook this weekend is shaping up to be perfect. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Rhi:
How long to Johnsonville Brats take to cook on the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've had them on for 2 hours. (raw) Sometimes I simmer in beer/rub/spices before they go on, sometimes I just toss them on raw. I also toss on another chunk of smoke wood at this time also.
If you simmer them before you stick them on, it really softens up the casing, and the beer adds a good flavor. I have even slit the casing before I simmered them, but they will get done sooner also, you have to check them in an hour because the are basically cooked from the simmer. That's how I do it anyway, others do it different.
Have fun

Back