Butts over Brisket question

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
Hello friends,

So far, irregardless of what cooker I'm using, I've always cooked my briskets under a pork butt or shoulder. Inevitably, the brisket sells out much faster than the pork. (decent brisket is hard to find around here) What happens is I end up with a bunch of extra pork left over. No problem really because I can freeze it if I need to. BUT ... what can I expect if I choose not to put a butt over my brisket? I know it can be done with great success because I've seen many a cooker with only one level of cooking space and they can't place anything over their briskets yet they still get a good product. I guess what I'm wondering is, how much of an effect will not using a butt over the brisket have on my final results? Is there anything I should do differently to offset the lack of a butt in there? I hope this makes sense because I could sure use some of your opinions and advice.

Thanks, Rick

My last brisket was done alone, on the top rack, fat side down. It came out fine. I think BOB can enhance a brisket, but certainly a great product can be produced with only the brisket.

Meat selection is important and small, thin flats are to be avoided if possible. Foil is much debated, but I like using it as part of a brisket cook to maintain moisture and assure tenderness. I suspect it might play a more important role when the upstairs butt is missing. Allowing a 2 + hour resting time in foil is very important even if you don't foil during the cook.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I guess a little more info would've helped. I always try and do full packers. I've never foiled anything while cooking, only during the rest. Now that could change with this type of cook.

Get this and give me your opinions, pro or con. I cooked some BOB last Sat night/Sun morning. I had to be somewhere before they all had a chance to rest properly. So I stuck them in an electric roaster (foiled) and set the temp to 150/160*. They sat there no less than 10 hrs. When I finally got home to pull and slice the meats everything was fine, but my brisket was awesome! It was so tender and juicy I couldn't believe it. Actually, it probably was too tender for comps because the slices would just fall apart, but in a good way. It was one of my top two briskets ... ever! Go figure.

Rick

If you want a little pork fat on the bris why not throw a couple strips of bacon on it?

Maybe it's like you said, a good briskett is hard t1o find

If you want a little pork fat on the bris why not throw a couple strips of bacon on it?

Maybe it's like you said, a good briskett is hard tp find our there?

Rick--

The pro would be that you like it a lot. The con that it might not be acceptable as a comp approach. I have rested foiled briskets in the WSM (all vents closed) after cooking to stretch the hold time and have had the results you describe which I, too, like.

It is quite rare that I do BOB cooks. The rubs I make for butts are very different from what I make for briskets and I'd rather not have one dripping on the other. Whether or not I foil depends on the packer I get. Nearly all are ungraded so I have to gauge what I think the marbling is and go from there. If I'm thinking 'Select' I often foil; 'Choice' I don't, unless I am needing juices pre-rest for sauce. Though I think that butt can add to brisket I don't think that its removal is detrimental to the brisket--imo anyway--but I am far less used to brisket cooked under butt than you are.

I've done something a bit different on the last few briskets I've done, and I think I like it. I've been doing briskets fat side down for a while now, and not foiling until their resting time. I've now been blending about 1/2 cup or a bit more of good beef broth with a couple tablespoons of Head Country marinade (kind of like a Worcestershire sauce on steroids), and poured that into the foil when I wrapped the brisket (now fat side up) for its rest. The meat is just sucking this "brisket juice" right up over a few hours' rest, with good results - and there's no pot roast feel to it a'tall.

Back