Butts On A Ranch

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Hey you Ranch owners. Need to do 8 butts for next weekend. I know I can do 8 on both of my WSM's, but was thinking about doing 4 on the Ranch. Have any of you used the Ranch for this? I realize it will be a higher heat cook, but I hope to control as much as I can. Basically looking for expected time and any other tips. Thanks.

I have never even *seen* an RK, but I know that we're having increasingly good luck doing "low and slow" on the smaller kettles so don't automatically assume that you have to do a high heat cook unless you want to.

If I had an RK to play with I would be putting a couple of firebricks at the 1/3 point, dumping a pile of charcoal on the 1/3 side, and doing a Minion burn with the butts on the other side. On a 22-1/2" kettle a number of people are getting 6 hour burns without refueling, and the few who get it just right are getting 10+ hours off a load of fuel.

Just a thought. I'll shut up now.

I have an RK but haven't yet used it for butts. Konrad Haskins, one of the pros on this site has posted on using his for butts. My memory is he splits a Weber chimney of unlit on each side and then splits a chimney of lit on the top of each side. You'll need to add some unlit every couple of hours. This will give you a higher temp cook for the butts; however apparently still a great product. I would just use a couple of drip pans in the middle.

Paul

Back