Butts in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman Byas

TVWBB Member
For all my Chi-Town folks. Where can I find good pork shoulders/butts? I made an inquiry at my local Jewel and they told me I'd have to order a least a day in advance. I live on the southside so please don't suggest some great store in Evanston.

Sorry this is'nt any help for you cause I live in Wisconsin. But all of our local grocery stores sell pork butts and shoulders. There in the display counters prepackaged waiting for someone to buy. Unless your looking for a certain type of pork. But the one I had was just fine. close to $2.00 a pound here.

I was able to get a butt at Dominick's same-day by just asking at the butcher counter. The butcher said "how big do you want it?" and just went ahead and cut it for me. I was there right after the butcher counter opened, so I don't know if you can do this any given day & time. I tried the same thing at Jewel and they couldn't do it. You could join Costco (they're building a couple new stores in town besides the one at Diversey & Elston.) Also, other people have mentioned Peoria Packing (which is on the near west side) in this thread. Sounds like a great place for meat.

I just bought 5 butts at Dominick's at Western and Roscoe last week as they were on sale for $.99/lb. I asked the manager behind the meat counter if they had any untrimmed in cryovac so he brought me out some. They come with 2 butts in each pack so I bought 2 packs, each weighed right around 15 lbs. Went back the next day and bought one more from the regular meat display that was 7lbs. I asked the manager about teh butss and he said they have plenty when they go on salke but generally they don't stock many because they are $2.49/lb.
Peoria Packing is great place to buy ribs, but their butts have never really impressed me by looks.
Jamie

Dennis, I don't know where you are buying your Butts in WI but I'm in the milwaukee area and can get nice Butts for 1.29/lb. I can also get these in Kenosha at Woodmans which I have verified are not enhanced. I was there yesterday and picked up a Farmland Certified Black Angus ChuckRoll for 2.29.

Living in Milwaukee I ALWAYS stop at Peoria Packing whenever I have the chance to drive through Chicago and I have had GREAT results with there Butts and never find a better price than there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
[qb] Dennis, I don't know where you are buying your Butts in WI but I'm in the milwaukee area and can get nice Butts for 1.29/lb. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a pretty good price. I got mine at sentry. It does depend to. Sometimes it lower then that. I live in hartford and we have a really good butcher shop out here but it's expensive. So I pretty much stick with the grocery store meat. I guess I need to look around a bit more. Piggly Wiggly probobly has them cheaper. I should look.

Where do you normaly get yours?

Dennis,

The problem I have with Sentry/Kohls/pick and save pork butts is they are all enhanced with that sodium water soloution. They say its for tenderness I say its to bump up the weight so you really are paying more per pound of meat than you think. Jewel uses Hormel Lean generation pork which while it is natural (not Brined or enhanced) it has been bred to have less fat making which means to me that it is prone to drying out.

Quality wise Graaschs on North Ave has the best meat in town but you're going to pay for it (shoulder for 2.69/lb and they don't go on sale) If you dont mind the enhanced stuff (yuck) try Rainbow Foods which often has butts .89/lb

I do have a couple of leads on fresh pork in the city of Milwaukee so if your interested drop me a note and when I find them I'll let you know.

Let me know what you find at the Pig.

Tom

I'll let you know. I never even bothered to look to see if the pork shoulder I bought was enhanced or not. I did'nt notice anything out of the ordanary when I opened it. But then again I guess I was'nt looking. I'll keep a better eye out next time. And thanks for the offer. If I find I'm having a hard time getting good pork I'll drop you a line. Thanks!

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back