Butts For Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob H

TVWBB Member
I did two Butts this weekend and gave one to my brother?s family and brought one to work. As some you know, Pork is not done much in South Texas, where Beef is king. But the reaction to ?Mr. Brown? has been strong. Everyone loves it and now there is talk of doing them for our in-office Xmas party.

My Question is, how many Butts would you make for an office of 30 people for an Xmas lunch?

It sure helps the ego when people tell you it?s so good you could open your own Bar-b-Q joint. Little did they know that the WSM did all the work and I get all the credit. I just hope he doesn?t find out and refuse to smoke one day!

30 people, depends a little on who they are and other food served. 30 shop workers will eat lots more than 30 size 6 office gals. Absent any other facts I would plan on 8 oz per person, means you need 15 lbs of finished product. Figuring on 50% waste and shrinkage then cook 30 lbs of raw butts. Myself however, I would probably buy a case of butts at smart n final, they average 40 lbs and put the whole thing on the WSM. Then bring some stryo containers for take home and you will be a hero.

Some of the caterers on this site can give you the exact amounts, but I've fed 15 folks easily with 2 butts and had lots of leftovers. One 7 pound butt fed 10 grown men at deer camp with one sandwich each, but I should have brought at least another 1/2 butt, if not a full butt, so we could have had seconds. Figure the butts shrink by 50% during cooking so an 8 pound butt shrinks to 4 pounds cooked meat. If each person gets a 1/4 pound of meat that should feed 16 folks. However, it never seems to work out that way, so for 30 folks I would cook 3 butts minimum, 4 butts will ensure leftovers. Thats just my experience, others may have had different experiences.

Bob H,

I'd do 6 butts, it isn't like the 'leftovers' will goto waste.

Let me put it this way, the first time I did pork butts for a group, I did 2 large butts.

A dozen people finished off both butts within an hour.

As for the compliments, it is nice.

My favorite was "you should bottle this BBQ sauce and sell it" when they try the BRITU BBQ Sauce. I just chuckled to myself.

We will assume that there is going to other food besides pork butt and since it is an office party it is not just a group of men.
If you serve 4oz sandwiches and 1/2 of the people want seconds then 22 pounds of raw product will be enough.
Jim

Thanks everyone! I got some great ideas of how much I need. The amount of knowledge available here is incredible.

What's UP!? A big butt (7-8 lbs.) should feed 13 people, so make 3 or 4 butts, depending on how much other food there will be. 4 butts with WSM = no problem. Score the fat cap and rub the rub into the grooves - you can also debone it and put rub in the cavity where the bone used to be. Makes it mighty tasty. Spray that sucker with apple juice and wrap in foil when you get to 175 and you'll have some happy Texans there in San Anton.

I like Big Butts and I don't know why!! Sorry, video flasback.

Being in Texas like when I was in Houston, I cooked two big Butts on the top rack and a full size brisket on the bottom rack. When the top butts are around 190 deg or so, everything is done. Cooking time was around 15 hrs or so.

Butts and Brisket. Two of the major food groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back