Butts and Basting...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Jocsak

TVWBB Member
Is it necessary? I've heard some do and some don't. I would think the butt has plenty of fat to keep it moist. I have (2)5 1/2 lb. butts on right now and had second thoughts about this step.

Jeff,
Welcome aboard! I have basted a few butts and couldn't really tell a difference. So now I don't baste my butts during the cook at all. What I do like to do is use the mop to baste over the meat after it is pulled. Let us know how your butts turn out. Good luck!

I don't think it's necessary and probably does not add to the flavor. IMO more problems would be caused by temp variations and spikes when the lid is removed to do the basting. You can give it a few quick shots from your sprayer with AJ and only have the lid off for seconds.

Paul

I use a very vinegary sop to mop my butts and I love the tang it contributes. Having said that, you can always add a little vinegar to the mix when you pull the pork.

If you foil the butt around 160-170 then it will keep more moisture in for the butt. However, there is no need to baste...I don't!!

I don't mop so much cuz I worry about dryness (butts are soooo darned juicy), but the couple of times I forgot to mop (read: drank alot of wild turkey 101 and fell asleep on the couch) I thought my butt lacked the zip it usually had.

Jeff, I never baste or mop or foil butts.That's just me though. I do foil the chuck rolls at 160 - 170. Bryan

Well, I put 1 (larger) butt on the top rack, 1 on the bottom kept between 220 to 250 (grate) never basted, sprayed, flipped or turned for 12 hours. Took them off at 190deg. foiled in cooler for 4 hours and pulled, I should say fell apart. It could not have been more tender and moist and of course the taste was fantastic.

BYW I used the #1 Texas rub.

Basting and mopping do add flavor, it layers it on and can add to bark. It depends on rub and make up of the baste. It adds to complexity of the flavor.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back