Butterflied & tied Pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
Folks,
At the Katy Days Cookoff this past weekend, I saw some interesting procedures for cooking pork butts.

Several competitors, using boneless butts, butterflied the pork butt (several 1-2 inch wide cuts) and applied their rub over all exposed pieces. I spoke with Buddee, from Pittsburg, KS, who made a delicious Porkchetto style, that I thought was great, not sure how the judges liked it. After applying the rub, tie up the roast with string and cook as usual.

i tried it with good results--although I was not prepared for the quicker cooking time that resulted. Still happy with the outcome.

I also saw folks using foil very early in their cooking process, at least one of whom wrapped the raw meat in foil before cooking that way. Never was able to find out the entire process, as I was busy with my own cookers. Don't know if and when he took them out of the foil, etc.

So, any experiences to share with either process--butterflying and early foil.

Oh, for those that will ask, we placed fairly consistently across all meat categories around 15th of 23 teams. Pretty impressive competition. Includes Grand Champion from 2001 Jack Daniels, Twin Oaks Cooking Team, Paul Kirk, aka Baron of BBQ, and several others with credentials from major cookoffs around midwest.

A great event, with wonderful small-town activities, parades, train rides, and beautiful weather for smoking--mid 70's and a light breeze on Sunday.

Except for the 615 mile drive, it was an enjoyable experience. Might be inclined to do it again next year.

Also, it appears that wood fires predominates at these midwest cookoffs. Saw some lump, even lesss charcoal, and only one other team with a WSM.

Still learning about smoking here in the Midwest

Dale

Hi Dale!!

You won't find many WSM in the Midwest. In Michigan, with 50 cookers, we have been the only ones using just WSM's the last 2 years. Mostly side-winders I see.

PORKETTA!!! WOW!! I am of Italian heritage....Nona from Italy. I grew up on porketta sammiches and cudighi sausage. If I told you how they made porketta, you would die!

I was taught to roast a loin in some water for several hours. Not lots of water, just a thin layer on the bottom of the pan. The water will remain as the roasting pan is covered during cooking. At the end, we use this gravy to cover the meat. Porketta was usually made a day ahead, allowed to cool and then served the next day.

Now, I deeply score a butt and smoke over charcoal with no smoke. Tie up and cook away.

I personally would never enter porketta in a contest.....not sure if it would be considered a true, traditional BBQ. Most of the judges seem to want that traditional BBQ flavor.

Never heard of foiling in the early stages of cooking. No smoke flavor at all? Not sure what the theory is behind this.

Since Buffalo was cancelled, I am thinking of going to Cairo, IL on the 20-21 of June.

Stogie,
While it was not 'traditional" BBQ flavor, it was mighty tasty and you never know when a group of judges might like the change of pace.

How deep is deeply scoring a butt?

I was thinking about Cairo, but if I did that, it would be 4 weekends in a row of cookoffs and I thought I might get burnout.

Are you doing Shannon this year?

Dale

Hi Dale!

No Shannon...it is too close to the Michigan event(weekend before). We will be cooking down in Madison, IN however on August 16 & 17.

I score nearly all the way to the bone. I only cook bone-in butts. You just kind of eyeball and feel when enough is enough. Then apply your rub and I let it sit for 3 days in the fridge. This makes a HUGE difference. I didn't used to do this until I thought about the sausage I make. It also calls for 3 days of refrigeration before cooking. I tried it and made such a difference I do it all the time now.

As to a change of pace for the judges, maybe, but why take the chance. Don't get me wrong....I will take the flavor of a good porketta any day, I just wouldn't take the chance at a BBQ cook-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back