Butt w/ Solution Added - And Thermometer Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Large grocery chain has Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast on sale for $0.99 per pound. Was thinking about buying a couple and putting them in the freezer to try the Renowned Mr. Brown at a later date. I noticed on the label that it said "up to 10% solution added". I didn't make the purchase.

1. Should I be bothered by the fact that it has solution added? I'd rather buy butt that doesn't have any solution added. What are your thoughts? Should I make the purchase anyway...or look elsewhere for a butt with no solution added?

2. I went looking for a thermometer to use in the hood. Couldn't find a candy thermometer except for the glass kind. I did find two thermometers to be used with a turkey fryer. One had a 4" stem/probe and the other had a 12" stem/probe. They both had a clip attached that could be used to attache to WSM lid vent. They both had an analog temp guage that went up to 500 degrees. Would the 4" one work for measuring the temp at the hood as some do using a candy thermometer with clip?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Jeff,

1) I personally do not buy anything that reads 'enhanced with up to an X% solution.' There are many others on this forum you feel the same way. I believe I've read where the solution can make your meat taste hammy among other things. Plus, your are actually paying more for the meat as the solution adds to the weight. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I want full control of what I put into or on my meats...nothing else is acceptable.

2)Either the 4" or the 12" would work. I'd check the accuracy on both with the boiling water test. The 4" would be preferable only because of stem length. With the 12" you'd have to make sure you don't stick it so far down into the vent that you wind up touching the meat and get false readings.
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

The enhanced meats are to be avoided..BUTTTT only if you have another source for them. If you have no other source, then buy them and simply cut down on the salt in your rub.

Sam's Club continues to be one of the few places where the meat is NOT tumbled and injected.

I still prefer my old, single-probe thermo's. They are pretty accurate and I have had them for over 6 years and lost only one...due to severe weather. Simply run the cables under the lid...again, no problems with this whatsoever.

I would stick with the 4" stem as the 12" seems much too long..especially if you are using a rib rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back