Butt & Shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

I am getting confused in pork temronology;

what exactly is the difference between a Boston Butt, Picnic Ham, and shoulder. When I go to my local meat market and ask for a Boston Butt they think I really want a pork shoulder, is there any difference?

thanks, Mark

I'm no expert by any means, but I have asked the same question. A pork shoulder comes from the front of the pig and is cut into two pieces, the butt and the picnic. The butt can be known as a "pork shoulder roast," "pork shoulder blade roast," "pork shoulder boston roast," etc. The picnic usually has the skin still on it and can be called picnic roast, picnic shoulder roast, etc.

The hams come from the back leg, so "picnic ham" I would have to ask the butcher. Usually that cut on the ham is called the "ham shank" or ham shank end." Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Jim.

I thought I saw you wander by at the Oregon Open this last weekend, but Cardogs wasn't competing. Saving yourself for Whistler next weekend?

Dave
It was just a quick trip to see Chef Gary and pick up pellets for the Traeger. I'm going to Montana but not the competition, I'm catering a wedding up on Flathead Lake for some close friends. Good luck at Whisler, hope let you over the boarder with your meat.
Jim

Dave is right on. The only thing I would add is that the Butt has a blade shaped bone with no skin. The picnic has a shank bone (kind of like a giant chicken leg bone) and usually has a skin on it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back