Butt Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

Is it ok to buy a quantity of butt and freeze them?? The reasin I ask is that up here in the Great White North it's sausage season so butt's are really cheap $0.99/lb so I am thinking of buying and vaccum packing them. Any problems with this???

Thanks in advance

I will buy Butt by the case all the time because I get better pricing, I almost always have some frozen for use as needed. As long as it is sealed well it will keep for quite a while.
Jim

Oh heck no, that's almost the only way I do butts any more, is buy a 2-Pack (not to be confused with the rapper) at Sam's for $.88/lb. and throw them in the freezer for when I need it. The only downside is that butts take awhile to thaw, so I have to account for that in my prep-time.

Thanks for the input. I was at Sam's last night but all I saw was butts being sold in bulk, 75 lb. boxs. I'll have to ask if they have any in the back. Sam's has only been here since Oct. so it has not caught on as well as costco up here. I'll have to buy some for the warm weather as I don't feel much like treking through 2 feet of snow to get my bullet out of the back shed.

Mike

Costco used to have Boston butts (bone in), but now all they have is the boneless pork roasts. Every Costco has gone to these it seems, so Sam's is now my butt-provider of choice.

Freezing is fine. I have a trick that I do all the time. I go to my local Albertson's and check the expiration date on the butts. I then key that date into my Outlook for a reminder. The day before that date I go back into the store and more often then not they will have 3 or 4 left marked down to .39 a pound!! I got 2 last month, one was 9.7 lbs and the other was 7.5 lbs. The total price was $6.73!!!

My local Costco doesn't have the butts out for display, but does have them in the back if you ask for them. They typically cut them up into country style ribs, so if your Costco has country style ribs on display for sale, they have butts in the back in cryo 2 packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back