Butt-Qty per person

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've made a butt before but it was for myself and my small family. I'm expecting about 15 people this weekend. How many pounds per person or vice et versa should I allow for? Should I make 2 3lbs butts or a 4lbs butt or what? I wouldn't want to see some guests starve to death. lol

Pulled will feed more than slices, if you figure 1/2 pound of uncooked per person you will have enough. That's based on this is going to be the main dish and you are not cooking other meats besides.
Jim

Thanks Jim. This means I`ll do two 4 pounders and get up really early that day... BTW, it`s pulled not sliced and deboned.

If in doubt, cook too much. Frozen leftovers are a good thing! Last weekend, I cooked for 50 people. I did 5 large bone-in butts (6-8 lbs. each) and 6 slabs of spareribs. The ribs disappeared quickly. Approximately 2 butts' worth of pulled pork was left over. I figure the pulled pork would have fed everyone, but I would have cooked one extra if I hadn't done the ribs, just to be sure.

By the way, I cooked the butts a day in advance. I pulled the pork and vacuum packed it. At the party, I heated it in the oven in foil pans, spritzed with apple juice and covered tightly with foil. It was every bit as good as freshly cooked, and without the stress of wondering if it'll get done in time. Good thing, too, as it took 16 hours to get to 190? internal! I started them at 9:30 PM and took them off at 1:30 PM the next day (the day before the party).

Hope this helps.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back