Butt over Venison ham opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm on my way to the processor this evening to pick up a couple of deer I took last week. I had the guy save a couple of the hams with the bone in. I want to smoke them for 'que.
Does anyone see a problem with placing the venison on the lower grate underneath a pork butt on the lid grate? I know the venison will probably cook faster and dry out. I hope the juice from the pork butt will help. At what temperature does the fat in the pork butt start to render out. I thought about waiting until the butt got close to that temperature before putting the venison on.
Any ideas or opinions are welcomed.

Go for it Ken. Smoked venison really is good. The pork basting the deer will make it better so I think I know what your thinking. Is your plan to cook the pork for a few hours until the juices start dripping, then place the venison on the lower rack? If so, dinner will be fantastic.
DP

Dale,
That's exactly what I have in mind. Let the pork cook for a few hours then as the temp approaches 160 in the pork place the venison underneath and cook until done. I'll check the venison when the pork comes of and determine f it needs to cook more. The last couple of times I did venison I didn't have a temp probe so I just eyeballed it and it came out pretty good. I'm pretty sure the venison will not to go near as high as the pork. I'm guessing somewhere around 170.

Ken,
I have done that and it turns out great. In fact sometimes I will just buy a couple Lbs. of the cheapest bacon I can find and lay on top of the venison.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back