Butt over beans - food safety question

I have two butts on the WSM on the top rack and decided to try one of the bean recipies from the forum. I had the butts on about 2 hours, then I put the beans on the bottom rack underneath the butts to catch the flavorful drippings. I took the beans off after 2 hours, the butts will be on all night.

I know the butts have not yet reached a safe internal temperature (pork is 140 I think), do I have to worry about the drippings that are now in the beans? I just tried some, so I might have my answer in a few hours I guess....

I didn't think about it until now. I am serving this for my office tomorrow and figured it wouldn't go over too good if I got everyone sick from the beans.

If the drippings never reached 140 degrees, then you would have a reason to be concerned. The chances of that are nill if your cooker temp was at normal smoking temps while the beans were under the butts.

If the beans are over 140, that'll zap whatever drips into them. Additionally, the stuff that manages to drip is usually pretty hot. I think you are OK.

What are talkin' about? Down South, whenever beans are cooked it is a requirement to include a piece of "side meat" (smoked jowl, bacon, ham hock, etc.). It may actually be against the law in some communities to not include side meat.

Just kidding, but the dripping fat is no different than chunking in a piece of bacon. I agree, the dripping fat is cooked enough not to be a health risk. I cook my beans like this each time I smoke a butt or brisket. Everyone clammers about how good they are. No dead relatives (yet).

I have done the very same thing under butts and/or ribs. Beans got to the correct temp so I never gave it another thought.

I just wanted to mention if you haven't tried hog apple beans posted by Keri C you are missing life itself. Those beans are so good if someone set a bowl of them on top of your head your tongue would knock you out trying to get to them. Recipe is in the side dishes forum.

Back