Butt cooking for 9.5 hrs, still not done???

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I put it on early this morning and 9.5 hours later, i am only at 175 degrees, is that normal? meat w/ no bone weighs 6.82 lbs and has been cooking at 220-230 the entire time. Am i doing something wrong? I only put one butt in (by the way, this is my electric unit from the hunting camp). It has held the temps nicely, but i am surprised how long it is taking.

I don't know what is normal for boneless but for me I have never had a butt done before 15 hours. At least not a large butt. I don't buy the smaller ones.

For that size at that those temps that is quite normal. I cook at ~275 so mine (bone-in, around 7.5-8 lbs) usually take 9-11 hours.

Increase your temps if you'd like it to quicken. But you're doing nothing wrong.

Finally finished at 8pm, i let sit for 30 min and pulled pork. Total cook time was 12 hours to hit 190. Pork turned out excellent, though it was late enough i only sampled it rather than enjoying it for dinner. that was a bit disappointing, having cooked it all day only to put in in a bowl with a lid for later consumption. i was looking forward to eating it for dinner but the cook time was longer than i expected.

I estimate 2 hours per pound and then add a little extra. That's at a 250 lid temp. I'm not experienced in the higher temp cooks. Thus, for a 8 lb'r you might be looking at 16 hrs. However, it can finish faster - many, sometimes upredictable, variables. The beauty, however is the 5 hour hold time available in the dry, towel lined cooler wrapped in HD foil.

The above demonstrates the problem in trying to do a butt cook starting in the a.m. and finishing in time to "feed folks".

Paul

That works out right at around 2hrs per lb which is fine. You can always foil at the end once you hit 175 + and take it to your taget temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For that size at that those temps that is quite normal. I cook at ~275 so mine (bone-in, around 7.5-8 lbs) usually take 9-11 hours.

Increase your temps if you'd like it to quicken. But you're doing nothing wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kev,
How'd you decide to cook at 275°?

Well, mostly because of the state of commercial pork. In my 'old days' pork was not as lean as it is now. (I realize that butt is not 'lean' but, believe me, it is much less fatty than it used to be.) I decided to up temps to compensate and am pleased with the results. I am not one for yet higher temps and foiling with butt but I do cook standard briskets higher (~325) and I do foil them as their relative thinness threatens moisture loss.

I have pigs-4-in the freezer that I recently slaughtered. These are much like pork of 20 years (or more) ago--quite fatty. These I will cook at a lower temp. But for butts I buy I've found a higher temp gives me the rendering the roasts require while maintaining the moisture levels I require.

Back