Butt Bark

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Have you noticed a difference in butt bark?

Doing a sand in the pan cook seems to reult in a crisper/tougher bark than a water in the pan cook. Perhaps there is something to a more moist environment than just easy temp control.
Any thoughts?

You have to believe that when you look down in there and see the water boiling in the pan that you are introducing some moisture into the smoking chamber. I also know that if you let the water pan run empty you are going to start running hotter and dryer. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I usually run water in the pan myself and after this weekend I am seriously considering lining the pan with foil or some other type of insert. What a mess. I wonder if I can find a disposable aluminum pan that will fit inside the Brinkman pan and cover the lip?

Cleaning the water pan, inside , is not a real problem for me, but I can understand how others may feel differently. You may have a problem with trying to foil it because you'll have to use 2 pieces of foil to cover and the water can "wick" up over the edge and get into the fire. Maybe a full circular foil pan would be good but you would still have to empty it - but guess not wash it.

I cooked spares this weekend and used the Brinkman pan. I used about a 3/4 full ring and I think my heat sink from the water was so much that it kept me from getting my temps up until enough water had evaporated. I'm going back to my WSM pan for the shorter cooks so I won't inadvertenly use too much water. I'll use the Brinkman pan for overnights when I'm using water rather than sand.

The experts say the water doesn't add to the moisture of the meat. Logic would seem to dictate otherwise with the steam generated in the pit from the water boiling. Yes, I do think the bark is tougher when cooked with sand rather than water. I suspect it's the temp spikes you may get and the radient effect.

Paul

I've never thought about a seperate drip pan. Although I have reservations that without occupying the entire bottom grate they wouldn't catch everything. But I suppose if I don't need the bottom grate for cooking that might be an option. I was thinking about some type of semi rigid insert that would fit down in the water pan and act as a disposable liner to speed up the cleaning process.

Paul,
I recently switched to the brinkman pan and it may be the difference in coating that is causing me the problem. Or it could be that the Brinkman pan is deeper so it sits closer to the coals. After each cook this weekend I had a crust formed on the inside of the water pan that I had to use a screwdriver to break through so I would wash it out. I don't mind the mess so much as the time. Has anyone ever dared to put one of these things, or the grates for that matter, in the dishwasher? "aw, c'mon honey, nobody looks inside the dishwasher. Who's gonna notice?"
I understand what you are saying about the foil. I thought the same thing.

I don't have an issue with cleaning the pan either, though I can understand why some do. Many switch to sand for that reason alone. I prefer water. I'm very used to it and I like it's variable nature i.e., being able to put in cold at the outset so as not to run the temps up quickly or putting in hot or boiling to bring temps up fast. I'm usually juggling umpteen other cooking/ranch chores while I'm smoking and using water helps predictability. I, too, use the samller pan for short cooks.

I don't think the water pan adds moisture to the meat per se, but I think (at least in some cases; anecdotal experience) is lessens the evaporation of the meat's moisture somewhat. Comparing meats that I used to smoke in a kettle (no water) now smoke in a WSM meats (with water) I'd have to say I agree with Steve's observation about bark.

Ken

I've had a problem with a crusty, burned build-up on the lip of the brinkman pan and on other areas when the water level has gotton down low, usually late in the cook. What I now do that seems to help is to spray a good coating of pam on the lip of the pan and down a few inches before putting it in the cooker, assembling it and adding the water. It seems to make it easier to clean.

The dishwasher is my wife's territory and I wash my cooking "stuff" in the workshop sink. We've survived almost 37 years of marriage this way.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

You might try a little oven cleaner on the pan. Just spray it on and let it sit overnight or until your next smoke if your memory is like mine. The crusty stuff should just melt off.

Mark

Mark, that reminds me, over a year ago , in a weak moment, I bought some grill cleaner, hadn't opened it yet. I guess now that I am back to using water more, I may have to give it a try.

Paul,
I hear ya. The grates and pan are soaking in the shop sink as we speak. The oven cleaner sounds like a good idea also. Thanks Mark.

I haven't tried sand yet but I like the bark that I get with water in the pan. I generally flip the butt at some point during the smoke and I foil for about an hour afterwords.

As far as cleanup goes I let it rest overnight and then I just use plastic shopping bags. I triple them up and pour the goo inside. I take a spatula and scrape off the stuff that doesn't pour out. I tie off the bag and dump it in the trash. Then I just wash out the pan like normal. I don't bother cleaning the fireside. Who cares what that looks like?

I have argued with people that using boiling hot water when you're smoking isn't so much smoking your meat as it is steaming your food.

I purchased a roll of Reynolds Alum Foil 18 inches wide. I use this to line my pan and it helps immensely for clean up. When I used the smaller size I folded 2 edges together severl times and had very little water escape.
As for making jerky in my smoker when I used water I was in for a long smoke time. When I went without water it cut the time down to about 5 hours from 16 to 17 hours before. For Summer sausage I use water it seems to help the smoke penetrate casing better and everyone likes it better with water then with out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Tag:
I have argued with people that using boiling hot water when you're smoking isn't so much smoking your meat as it is steaming your food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I disagree. Putting hot or boiling water in the pan allows you to maintain your heat or raise it more quickly; cold allows a gentler rise. Of course the coals will heat the water. While I think using water in the pan will allow for 'softer' bark, steaming the meat? No. There's not enough steam volume nor enough pressure for that.

Ken, Brinkmann used to sell a disposable water pan liner on their web site, they may still. I ordered some once, but sent them back. It was a foil pan that sat in the water pan, but didn't really conform to the shape of the pan. So,one you would loose water volume and two, the drippings could miss and go between the liner and the pan. You might try their site and see what you think.

I do the same thing you do Gary. I got the heavy duty large Alum. foil. If lined up correctly one sheet will cover the whole pan and all sides ( I still use the stock WSM pan, don't know if one will fit the brinkman). The cook is done, I just dump and toss. I buy mine in 2 packs at Costco if that helps anyone.

I don't believe one piece of wide foil will cover the large brinkman pan and therein lies the problem. When two are folded together and used, water can wick up and over the edge of the pan and into the charcoal bowl snuffing out or impeding the fire.

For those of you who cleans your grates in your washer or your sink, aren't you pretty much defeating the whole purpose of seasoning your smoker?

I've never heard of seasoning chrome plating. The only thing I would consider as "seasoning" on a WSM is the leaving of the coating of grease and smoke on the inside of the center section.

Back