Butt and Turkey at the same time?

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
A friend asked to borrow my WSM this weekend for a party. He was hoping to cook a butt and a turkey.

Is this a good idea? I generally aim for about 250F at the lid for pork. If he's willing to live with rubbery turkey skin would the same temp or a little higher work?

I suggested an alternative is to start the pork early Friday evening an pull it out first thing in the morning. If it isn't done foil and put in the oven. Then stoke up the fire and do the turkey at 325+.

Thanks

Jim,

If I were your friend, I would take your advice. That in my opinion is the way to go for that combo of meat. Plus his butt can take way more smoke than the turkey and if the option is available having different smoke wood for each would be a great touch.

Depending on how big the turkey is there is a concern about cooking a turkey at a low temp. becuase it keeps the meat in the "danger zone" for bacteria for too long. This is just what I've read on this board so I don't claim to be an expert on this subject or verify its accuracy.

Josh

Back