Butt and brisket by the case?

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
My "normal" cooks is two butts over a packer brisket. Over the next 4 weeks, I'm going to need at least 6 butts and 2 briskets, so I'm wondering how many of each normally come in a case? Might see if I can buy a case of each from a wholesaler instead of a trip to the butcher.

Also, how long will these keep if they are stored in a chest freezer?

Thanks!

I looked into a case of butts from my supplier earlier this year. He said it was about 60#.

Since they are packed 2 per cryo, I assume it either 6 or 8 butts per case.

I buy cases from sams and they have 4 cryovacs for 8 butts in a case. I don't know about brisket. I asked someone in the meat dept. about buying a case of packer briskets last week. He took my number but have yet to hear anything.

I bought a case of butts earlier this week at Sam's 66.8 pounds, and there were FIVE cryos in there, for 10 butts total. Several were rather small, so I guess that's why there were ten instead of eight, which is what I'm accustomed to in a case.

As many cases of ribs and butts as I've bought, I've never bought a case of briskets - I'd much rather paw through all available and hand-pick my own. Take the guys at your meat market a complimentary BBQ meal every now and then, and they'll probably let you into the back to look through what they have.

Back