Busted! Why there's always more on the smoker than the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I went in the house to get the digital camera to take a picture of my purty smoked chicken, and look at what I found when I got back! Busted red-handed, dear hubby-o-mine, and revealed to the world for the chicken-thief you are!

Mvc-208s-sm.jpg

That's okay, though, baby - you can swipe my chicken anytime.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, one word for you MOUSETRAP
icon_biggrin.gif
. Looks Great id be stealing too. Don't like legs id be going for that sausage.
icon_wink.gif
What kind/ type is it. Bryan

Bryan, that sausage is a market-made chorizo from a little meat market in a Mexican mercado here in Tulsa. I wandered in there Saturday looking for frozen chopped roasted chiles, and felt like I had wandered south of the border. The little meat market was great, though, and the butcher was just finishing stuffing this sausage. It looked great, but actually it won't rank amongst our favorites. It tasted like it had a lot of filler of some kind in it that just didn't appeal to us. Ah well, if we don't try, we don't know, eh?

Cy, he was actually reaching for the perfect thigh that's showing immediately under his index finger in the picture. He had already eaten the other nicest one when I got back out with the camera - you can see the remains of the first one there at the bottom of the picture laying in the edge of the pan. Those two would have been good for the turn-in box, trimmed just like Bill showed me at Colorado and finished up so nice! Robert gave me an 8 for appearance, but then was too busy building a bone pile to finish judging taste and tenderness...
icon_wink.gif
I take it as a compliment that, even though I had three different BBQ sauces on the table including his favorite, not once did he touch sauce to meat throughout the meal. I'll get this chicken thing figured out eventually. Cy, you have mail, by the way.

Keri C

Keri,
What a great pic!! Did you cook the chicken and sausage at the same time/temp? They look absolutely amazing.

Rath *agrees with Susan Z.*

Wow. How did you you get such a great looking skin on those thighs and legs. The color is awesome!!

Nice lookin bird Keri. I'm in BA and would like to find a Mexican grocery store. I've seen a few that seem to be mostly convenient stores. Do you know of any?

Howdy, Neighbor! Small world! We're in BA too, although I usually claim Tulsa since more folks are familiar with that name.

Well, let's see... Saturday I went looking for just such a thing, and found a fantastic oriental market instead that DOES also cater quite a bit to the Mexican community. Go to the intersection of 21st and Garnett, to the northwest corner of the intersection. A little north of the intersection you'll see a market called "Nam Hai". They may have what you're looking for, plus a WHOLE LOT MORE.

After you go there, then come back across the street south to the southwest corner of 21st and Garnett, a bit south of the intersection, to the Mercado. When you go in the front door, there are some flea market type booths off to your left, but there is a restaurant, a meat market, and a small grocery all within this big building off to your right. Don't waste your time on the chorizo, and be sure to check out the HUGE fried pig skin / pork rind / whatever laying up on top of the cases of the meat market.

That's all I had time to check out that afternoon; I know that there are some other Mexican markets in the general vicinity of 21st and Mingo to 21st and Garnett, but I don't have details yet - the search still continues. If you'll send me your e-mail address, I'll keep you updated. After a recent trip through New Mexico, I'm on the search for tubs frozen chopped roasted green chiles, to no avail yet. I guess I'll have to learn to roast them myself.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time, but actually located in Broken Arrow.

keri at gbronline dot com

Thanks for the reply! I've seen that Mercado but have not seen Nam Hai. I'll check them both out soon. I suppose you know about Conroe's Meat Mkt at 21st & Memorial. I picked up some very tasty Tri-Tips there Saturday.

NO!!! I've never heard of Conroe's! MANY THANKS for the tip. The onliest meat market that I've come up on that I considered a REAL market was Perry's Cardinal over near downtown Tulsa, just north of 11th and Lewis. They cater to barbecuers, with bags and bags of all different kinds of smoke wood lined up around the walls, lots of rubs and sauces, a line of Mexican goodies like Mojo Criollo and such, and a really nice market. I went over once looking for a few slabs of ribs, and she laid out a huge tray, laid a bunch of slabs out on the tray, and held the tray over so that I could see the individuals slabs and choose the ones that I wanted.

I'll be heading for Conroe's this weekend. Thanks again!

Oh, BTW, did you know that there's a guy here in Tulsa that's trying to put together a barbecue club? He goes by "Lil Mike" over on the BBQForum. Not a comp club, just a group to get together, talk bbq, and smoke anything that won't crawl out of the smoker...

Keri, my wife picked up some Chorizo today. Wondering which weber to use Kettle or the WSM. Do you have a preference when doing Chorizo. Thanks Bryan

I just like to run it on the smoker for a couple of hours, till it's about 155 to 160 inside. Takes about two to three hours, tops, running at about 235 to 240 at the grate, in my experience (might take a look at Chris's writeup on "gourmet sausages" for the step-by-step that he did). I don't usually grill sausage from the raw state, because I always burn it if I do.
icon_rolleyes.gif
If I'm doing brats or hot links, I simmer them in beer till they're about done, and then grill them to brown them off. I wasn't sure how that would work with chorizo, though, so I just smoked it for the whole cook. Perhaps one should simmer chorizo in Corona or Negra Modelo???
icon_wink.gif

Keri, Thanks when i do bratts i do the beer, butter, onions, thing for 20 min then grill and put back in the beer bath OH SOOOOOOO GOOD.
icon_razz.gif
Thanks. I have never eaten Chorizo so i can't wait to try them. Bryan

Keri, cooking brats, sausages, ect in beer then grilling is the way I do them too. In fact I think it really helps with flavor, and they will get done without burning them. Brilliant!

Cant say I blame your hubby for stealing that chicken. Looks great.
DP

Keri & Bob,

It's been a few years since I lived on your side of the state (originally Bixby), but word from a guy up here at work is that there is a nice shop at 81st and Lewis. I've been meaning to check it out next time I'm over that way, but supposedly it has some more exotic meats. It came up in a conversation due to the fact that they sell TurDuckEn. (Not sure of the spelling on that one.) Anyway, might want to check it out if you get a chance.

Here's the info:

Herberts Specialty Meats
8130 S Lewis
Suite E

Josh

Hi, Josh - I'm a semi-regular of Hebert's, as much for the Cajun Power Garlic Sauce and Lousiana Gold hot sauce as anything. It's pretty small and doesn't carry a lot, but what they do have is good. If you place your order a few days ahead of time, they fly in live crawfish during the season as well. They do a great take-out special for lunch. You have no choice about what you get, and they do a different lunch each day of the week, but they're all VERY good. Thanks for reminding me that its about time I make the trip back over there from BA again. You never know when they might have added something that I can't live without!

Keri,

Well now I'm definitely going to have to check them out next time I'm over there. I'll be taking notes on the others you and Bob mentioned too. I can already see me coming back with a whole ice chest full of goodies.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back