Burnt ends question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi. (Greg R.... you out there?)

I'm trying to make burnt ends. Sorry if I sound naive but I've only read about them. Never even seen a picture.

Anyway I have a decision to make in about 30 minutes.

My cook's going on right now. I have several more hours to go (Chuck roll only at 166) but my packer is done and a back cut brisket has been over 200 for (gulp) 7 hours now.

1. Have I completely muffed the burnt ends portion of this cook up? (at least theback cut piece)

2. For the point section of the packer. Should I hold it in a cooler until later to make the burnt ends or just throw it on with the back cut?

3. How high a pit temp do I need to make burnt ends? My bottom rack is about 250 - 260 (foil dry pan) My top an middle sections are rock steady at 225.

4. When should I chop them into bite sized pieces?
Thanks

Rob, when I do BE's I treat them as an appetizer! I seperate the point and flat then put the point on the hottest part of the WSM and leave it be for 2hrs or so.

Then I take the point out and chop it in to 1" pieces or so and put them on a skillet or bbq wok or whatever you got...mine is a veggie grill skillet(has little holes in it). Throw the pieces in the skillet and let um go for another hour or so, give a turn to the meat and let go for another hour or so.

When the ends have a nice braky or jerky feel to the entire outside then they are done...I don't go by tempreature.

Then I give um a quick drench in bbq sauce and serve um to the guests for a teaser(my in-laws like the BE's the best and they eat them naked...the ends that is!!).

Give it a go...it adds time to the cook but it is well worth it!
icon_smile.gif

Got any questions give me an email

grempe AT adelphia DOT net
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back