Burner Stoppage and Cleaning

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
So I have noticed that my spirit was burning really unevenly and it had A LOT of cool spots so I decided to take the time and clean the entire grill today. Let's just say I let it go way, way too long. I was black all the way up to my elbows but it was worth it.

I did notice though that about half of the little holes looked like they were rusted shut so I took a cheap boning knife and used the tip to open them back up. It felt like rust too just from the sound it made when I was doing it, but the burner themselves were just fine, no signs of rusting out or anything. Pretty shiny after a wire brush rub down.

Anyone ever encountered this type of stoppage on a Spirit? I am hoping that it burns real even now. It looked like the flames were all about at the same level of heat now but I guess I'll have to cook on it to find out. There was a really black sooty spot on one of the middle flavorizer bars that is above the middle burner on the ignition end, so I am wondering what that might be a sign of. Hoping that my burners aren't going out, figure that would be pretty expensive to replace. Maybe Weber would warranty it? No idea.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I'll try to get a picture of the gasser all shiny and clean tomorrow when the daylight is a bit better. :D

It had similar issues with my Genesis after 3 years. I used my wire brush and wipe across the openings. I then disassembled and removed my burners and sprayed them with compressed air with my air compressor. Be careful with the way you wipe the openings because you do not want to enlarge them. When I put it back together it ran like brand new. I will continue this about once a year and remove the bars and wipe the burners about once per month.

Also, before I cleaned my burners I had the soot build up between the burners and the bars. No problems since. Everything runs like new since i cleaned it up. As for warranty, the Genesis burners are warrantied for 10 years. I believe the Spirit is 5 but you can find that on their website. Also, dont forget to clean the wire mesh at the beginning of the burners near the knobs. This is where spider webs usually clog up air flow. I also like to rotate my bars between over burners and not over burners. I think it helps. Either way they only last about 3 years.

Hmm, never ever noticed wire mesh on any of the burners..... Maybe mine doesn't have it? Guess I need to look when I get off work and after my class tonight. Or maybe you can make the trip from Millbrook and help me out on Weber fixages! LOLOL. Also, how do ya remove the whole burner tube assembly? My grill was put together by dad before he gave it to me as a gift several years back.

Last edited:
I will be driving through Bham tomorrow to visit my wife's family in Mccalla. I doubt you want me to unleash our 5 children on your place. Disclaimer I am an engineer and any time you ask an engineer a technical question be prepared for a long winded answer so hear goes.

1. If you look on the underside of the grill in the areas of the knobs you will see where the gas line comes to the manifold. In this area you will also see where the burner tubes slide onto the manifold. This is the fat end of the burner tube. You will notice some fairly dense wire mesh at the fat end where it attaches. This is to allow air for the air/gas mixture for combustion.

2. You can scrub this mesh with an old toothbrush to clean up any debris that may be clogging this to thoroughly clean i would disassemble.

3. To disassemble remove the knobs and ignitor switch.

4. There should be a screw on the back of the grill on that side. Remove with screwdriver.

5. At this point you should be able to lift up the side table. It will be clipped in the front so it may take a tug. Be careful since the sides on yours are plastic.

6. You will need to disconnect the ignitor before you lift up the side table.

7. At this point you should be able to slide out the manifold and lay it on the ground. It will still have the LP hose attached(I left off the no brainer instructions like disconnect hose from tank).

8. At this point you need to take out grates and bars and slide out the burners. They are slid under a bolt on the left side but it is not holding them down so you don't have to unscrew.

9. Blow out the burner tubes with air compressor or a can of compressed air.

10. Reinstall burners and manifold and test connections and fire up and check for nice blue flame.

11. Reinstall side table.

This info is probably in your manual and these can be found on their website. Let me know how it works out.

Classes on Friday? When I was at Alabama only us Engineers had classes on Friday. You obviously are not in the business school.

Political Science department. :cool: And thanks for all the instructions, I lost my manual a LONG time ago so that helps a ton. If it lets up raining I may get out there before dark and give it a go. Or I may save it for a lazy Sunday evening project tomorrow.

Just an FYI you can download the manuals direct from Weber: http://help.weber.com/manuals/#serial-number. But you probably already knew that. BTW, how did it go with the burner removal, and did it help? I have the same grill and have copied Curt's instructions to a text file for when I inevitably will need to clean mine.

Sure did! I got them in there and the grill is burning like a dream now. Super hot just like it was way back when and no soot from the burners. I am stoked that Weber sent them to me for free. What a great company. Only reassures all of us I guess of why we love them so much.

BTW, sorry it took so long, the notification got lost in my spam folder for your reply.

Back