Burner flame questions

I'm going to ask a question that's an off shoot of this discussion. With ambient temperature at 70, no breeze and out of the sun and all three burners on low what temperature is typical? I know the answer could be all over the map depending condition of the burners, slight breeze etc.

Yah, it is pretty tough to get anything below 200 in these grills with just one burner on low. Larry probably has the range about right IMO.

Alright folks, I'm back after trying to clean the orifice and double-checking that there wasn't too much grease in the valve. Below is a link to a video of the grill with all 3 burners going. The one on the right looks good. The one in the middle is the worst of the three, and the one on the right is okay but not perfect. I'd love your thoughts because I'm out of ideas - is this "good enough" that I should stop worrying about it and start using this grill?

I honestly don't know what you're issue is here. They're just fine. Leave well enough alone, buy some steaks and COOK dammit COOK :D

LOL, those look a bit high to me. But at least they are not all yellow. Just watch the temps so you don't have a nuclear melt down.

I don't know if there is a problem, but the middle burner flame is definitely different. I ordered a set of burners for my Silver and I noticed they were different than the OEM burners...fewer gas jets spaced further apart, but larger jets. And the crossover tube had holes that were punched rather than slots that were stamped from the OEM. The material also seemed thinner. There was nothing wrong with my Weber burners so I cleaned all the jets and re-used them. The point of this is, do you have a mismatched burner set? Is the middle burner jetted the same as the outer burners?

I really hesitate to suggest this because you have swapped burners, but that's all I got. Good luck! And if you ultimately resolve this, please, let us know. I'm stumped.

EDIT: I'm going 'way out on a limb here, but the closest thing I can relate this to in my experience is like adjusting an oxy-acetylene flame. That's what this reminds me of, where you go from an carbon-rich (soft) flame to a neutral flame, and you have that different colored flame cone. I may very well be wrong, but my instinct is that it is rich, or improperly mixed. That's my best guess, but I'd sure like to know.

Last edited:
LOL, those look a bit high to me. But at least they are not all yellow. Just watch the temps so you don't have a nuclear melt down.
My late sister and my brother in law have this grill on NG. It burns the same way. When you have a single manifold feeding 3 or more outlets asking them to all be identical is over kill and impossible. Like I said put it back together, quit obsessing, buy some steaks and cook already

Thanks all. I really appreciate the input. @Ed Pinnell I picked this up on the side of the road, but pretty sure they're not mismatched. Good thought though. Per @LMichaels advice last night I finished putting the grill together and fired it up for a test run. I've gifted it to a friend who has been using an awful cheapo no-name grill for years. Despite some remaining rust it's a big upgrade for him and I think he's happy with it and would never have noticed the flame is imperfect.

Now on to my next two grills to restore! I'm waiting on a new crossover tube for the E-320 I picked up (Weber says it won't be in stock until October 😢), and I just got my hands on a 2006 Genesis Silver A (2-burner) that will make a great first grill for another friend. I really need to stop after these two 😅.

Josh, look for an aftermarket cross over tube on amazon. It will probably cost less than half of the weber one and you can get it next week.

Josh, look for an aftermarket cross over tube on amazon. It will probably cost less than half of the weber one and you can get it next week.
It can't cost less than free! Weber is replacing it under warranty since the grill is less than 10 years old. I also couldn't find the crossover alone and the burners are fine.

Back