Burn time data

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is quite a bit of information regarding Kingsford style briquets burntime and smoking temperatures but little regarding hardwood charcoal burntimes. Lots of comments stating it burns hotter and not as long. Does anyone have any data substantiating hard wood charcoal (lump)or does the nonuniformity in size make it difficult to get any uniform numbers?

I don't have data per say, but I am not sure if I can jump on the wagon that lump does not burn long. It can burn hotter, no question. Charcoal and lump, follow the apples and oranges philosophy, by that I mean, lump has twice the btu rating, of the same amount of charcoal, in weight. I have used lump exclusively for about 2 years now. Like you suggest, there can be a huge difference in suppliers, and a difference within a supplier over time. I have recently started using the Maple Leaf hardwood, out of Canada. Very good consistency, well packaged, and very little fines.

This past Friday, when I cooked butts, I 90% loaded the ring with a freshly opened bag. Lit about a half chimney full of lump and put it in the remaining 10% space left in the ring. My bottom vents were opened about 1/4" open. This kept my top grate temperature at 230 or so for about 7 hours. I pulled the barrel off of the bottom section, and then placed enough lump on to refill the ring. This was enough to finish my cook. Total time of 15 hours.

The key here is, you can introduce very little air with lump, and keep it burning cleanly, and maintain low temperatures.

I just went and weighed the bag, that I opened on Friday. I used a total of 8 lbs. of fuel for the entire cook.
Like I mentioned up top, regarding different brands, I have not had the same success with other manufacturers.
Size uniformity is a big factor, as you suggest, but I have heard that some people go as far, to take the larger pieces and chop them up a bit smaller, to keep things consistent.
Personally, I think that many people on this list do not use lump, simply because it is not very accessible to them, but I could be wrong. I like you wish there was more people talking about lump here.

Jim

Hi, I've noticed that I get longer burning times with lump when I put a piece of expanded steel over the charcoal grate. Keeps the pieces from prematurely falling through.

I've been using mostly lump since I got my WSM last summer. I've used briquets a couple of times but not much. I agree with Jim that the lump does burn hotter. I also believe that it burns cleaner too. I've usually used too much lump and my temps are a little higher than I prefer. I still need some more experience with lump.

I have found that it is critical, to have just a small amount of lit lump going into the ring. I dump the hot lump into the ring just as it is starting to snap and pop. Dumping hot lump directly on top of cold fuel, can, and I emphasize can, produce a hotter than desired start. Once the temps get up into the 275 range, it is not quickly, that you can bring them back down.
Like I mentioned above, putting hot lump in just one small section of the ring, surrounded by cold fuel, helps me from the beginning of the cook, regulating my temperatures easier.
It also requires more watching than charcoal. You do not want it getting out of control. You need to be pro-active and not re-active.
If the fire is getting too warm, I joggle the bottom vents almost shut, and then move back the top vent to about 3/4 open. You want to continue to have good air flow, but at the same time cut back the velocity of the flow.

Jim

Thanks for all the feedback. It appears that lump charcoalwould require a bit of practice using and something you definitely do not want to try for the first time during an overnight competition BBQ.

It might be interesting to try however on a group of meats such as chicken or ribs where long burns are not mandatory. Also I would see an advantage when trying to cook in cold and/or windy weather in order to keep the temp up.

I am spoiled now with once the Kingsford levels out, my temp hovers very close to 240F at the top of the dome for most the cook. Like the fella who goes around with the cell phone asking "Can you hear me now?" I would keep getting up checking to see if the bullet and asking "Do I need to adjust it now?". There were times I would tap the temp gauge to see if it was broken or stuck because rarely varied from the 240F mark. It took a while to feel comfortable putting the brisket and butts on and JUST GO TO SLEEP. The only fiddling around is now with the blue grass and country music in the background (smile)

I am curious enough, based upon the feedback and the archives to do a comparison run and see if there is a noticeable taste difference.

A good point brought up is to make sure you buy lump from a reliable source so you can be sure of consistency and that it will be available.

I practice BBQ a lot and go through about 20-30 lbs of charcoal weekely so should have plenty of opportunity to try the the lump.

Where lump should definitely have an advantage is when doing salmon, BBQing at 350-400 for 30 minutes would be much easier to accomplish.

Have any of you used lump for grilling?

Alan D

Hello Alan,

I bought some lump mesquite last year and use it mostly for grilling and also for quick cooking the chicken in a Weber to crisp up the skin.

Works fine by me--and, contrary to the rputed bitter taste of mesquite, I find it to be a great grilling and smoking fuel.

Note that I use it like I use wood when smoking--only for the first couple hours of the smoke.

Dale

The combination of lump and the WSM, really solve, many of my cooker concerns. With lump there is no problem reaching any desired temperatures in the WSM. Natures Own, which is the brand I am currently using, claims their lump will reach temperatures of 1000?. One of my favorite cooks, is brining chicken halves, then use my favorite rub or paste under and on the chicken skin, and cook on the WSM top grate with water pan out.
My only dislike for the kettle is the stationary grill, but the WSM overcomes that. Now I have many different configurations to use, depending upon what temperatures, and variations in height from the fire I want to be.
I have a couple of suggestions, if you are going to purchase lump.

1. Try to look for packaging, which tightly keeps the fuel tucked in the bag. If it is jostled around a lot, during shipping, it could add, to the amount of unwanted fines or dust.
2. Try and secure a lump, which is of one wood type denomination, or close to it.
3. If you find a good reputable supplier, try and work out an arrangement to purchase a large supply at once. It will help keep your price per pound down.
4. If you find a supplier, call the manufacturer, before buying any bulk amount. Lump can be produced in many different types of ovens. The better manufactures, claim to use grain alcohol, rather than petroleum.

I may be a bit of a fanatic about fuel,but If I am going to cook for 15 or more hours, I certainly want nothing but the best fuel, for my fires. I hope you keep us posted on your endevours.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back