Burgers on the performer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam B

TVWBB Member
For the second consecutive time I have been very disappointed in my burger results on my performer. I have been using the bins that came with it, and I think this method actually results in too much heat, too close to the food.

Now to be honest and up front, I have used 1/3lb frozen patties. (yes frozen) I am sure I will catch heck for that. On my gas grill I would turn all 3 burners on high, get the temp about 500 deg, turn off the middle burner, place patties over the turned off burner for 5-6 minutes a side. Turned out great every time.

Trying to cook these type of patties on the performer, I have been ending up with hockey pucks as the final product, and my family is not happy. It seems to me the heat is too intense when using the bins, and would like to know what methods you are using.

1st get rid of the frozen patties! I pile my charcoal in the middle and get it lit well. Place the hand formed and well seasoned patties around the outside of the grill and let them come to temp however you like em. At the end I then move the patties to the middle for a brief charring over the coals on each side with the obligatory 90 degree turn for the hash marked look. Works very well for me. Try stuffing the patties with some blue cheese and top them with some with your favorite bacon! Yumm!

Agreed on Phil's first point. Even good frozen patties can't really compare to the real thing. If you are in love with them, keep em...but just know you can always take it up another notch by switching to fresh.

Regarding the charcoal bins...I agree with you. That's why I put them on the sides and put the lit charcoal in the middle. Basically, the charcoal bin becomes a low heat zone for indirect cooking or for rescuing a accidental "fireball burger."

Above all else, don't get discouraged. Charcoal is a different beast. You'll get the hang of it and never want to go back.

Adam don't be discouraged, my wife brought home frozen patties for me a couple weeks ago. I tried everything to make them taste good. Last Friday I made my own patties. I banked a chimney starter of coals on one side of the kettle. I seared the burgers on each side for a couple of minutes, and then finshed them for a few minutes at indirect heat. I also toasted the buns. They turned out excellent.

I use the method that Brian describes - coals to one side, covering about half the charcoal grate. Sear the burgers on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes per side, then move to the cooler side to finish. Almost guarantees no hockey pucks. I start checking temps at about 12 minutes total and pull my burgers at 150 or so. I use ground chuck - about an 80/20 mix - and the burgers are fantastic!

Having made the adjustment from gas to charcoal several years ago, I can attest that there is a learning curve to controlling temperatures and the type of fire to use, but the results in the end are well worth it.

Keep on cookin!

Pat

Adam, if you have time let your frozen patties defrost before cooking.

In either case make sure they are cooked through, but don't over cook. Overcooking is why they are turning out dry.

If you don't have time to defrost them start them indirect (or finish them indirect). Bank the coals to one side and put the burgers on, not above the coals. Put the lid on.

Wait 2 - 15 minutes depending on thickness. 2 minutes for very thin patties, about 15 minutes if they are an inch thick.

As soon as they are thawed through move them over the coals to brown them up.

Alternatively if finishing indirect move them away from the coals as soon as you like the color, then allow them to finish coming to safe temp.

I haven't used frozen burgers in some time. Making one's own patties is easy. Ensure they are uniformed thickness. I place a pat of butter in the middle. Season them heavily. Four minutes per side over direct heat (I am not against using the charcoal bins).

Yum!

I can hardly believe all the responses telling you not to use the frozen patties you enjoyed BEFORE attempting to cook them on the performer

well the performer is up to the job I say, if you enjoyed them on the gasser you will LOVE them cooked on the performer once you get a process that works for ya

Shawn,

Thanks for the support. I like to think I know a good tasting burger. A 1/3 pound frozen Angus patty with vidalia onions inside sure makes for a nice easy and tasty treat!! Hopefully I will get my process down soon.

at times i use frozen patties out of necessity. i have no problems with them but i do defrost them first. if they are thin you can put two together. maybe while doing that you can slip in some cheese or ??

I agree w george if you are using frozen then thaw them first. The problem with the frozen is you need to cook them to a higher temp to make sure they are ok. That will leave a smaller juicy window. I would skip all the indirect stuff and go direct for a few min each side. Also I don't know if check temps on burgers or not but try to stay away from that. Go by feel if possible. once you poke one of those things all that juicy goodness is on the charcoal. Good luck.

I never have problems with frozen patties on my OTG or gas grill. I like the convenience of frozen patties from my local butcher. I simply do direct grilling over about 3/4 a chimney of coals I have spread out over the charcoal grate. You do have to be careful not to over grill but since you are doing direct heat keeping the lid shut is not nearly as important as when doing indirect. Just don't make too intense of spots and maybe leave the coal light in one area to slide off to if they are cooking too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back