Bullet Temp

darrin

TVWBB Member
Just finished pulling a brisket off the WSm and final results were fantastic. However, had a long, tough day keeping the temp up. Did everything I usually do, almost a full ring of charcoal with a lit chimmey on top. Though was the first time using Royal oak lump. had the vents full open and still was having problems getting over 200 degrees. I actually had to open the door a few times and leave it open to keep the temp up. The only unsual was that it was an absolutely humid day with no wind whatsever. Anyhow, anyhow got any ideas what I was doing wrong or what I can do in the future to hwlp with the low temp problem?

We use Royal Lump all the time . two vents at 15 % and she runs all day at 240 to 260 Dome
which is 230 to 250 grate with the ET -73 Probe.

Maybe your lump was wet ??
pretty humid here in Florida and has no effect.

Maybe your water pan was so full it was boiling over and dripping in the coals..??

Had that problem one time cause of sloppy foiling around the pan edges which caused it to drip down below.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am guessing that the charcoal was actually damp, it was an old opened bag that had been sitting around my garage for several months that I had forgot about. I guess I will just have to bbq more to keep that charcoal fresh!.

Thanks

Darrin,

I did a brisket overnight on Saturday in Toronto. More or less -- same time, same place, same cook. I didn't have any problems maintaining temperature. I did the Minion method to start (except using lump). My fuel was Maple Leaf lump charwood.

I had the vents at 10% each for most of the cook until the fuel started getting low. My brisket turned out OK, but not great, but that's a different issue.

Did you have lots of ashes piling on your coals? Was your cooker out in the open, or did it get rained on?

One thought -- After our recent rain storms, I found that water pooled in the bottom of the cooker underneath the charcoal grate. I noticed that you can't see this until you lift the grate. One hypothesis - if water pooled underneath the coals it could put a serious damper on its ability to build heat. Dampened fuel, major heat sink + impaired airflow = low temps.

Back