Buffalo strip steak suggestions?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Today I made an impulse buy of a buffalo strip steak and am looking for some ideas as I've never grilled one before. I like my beef steaks rare to medium-rare and this one's just under a pound and is 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" thick. Thanks!

Trim very close to remove any hard fat or silver skin on the outside edges that won't render.

Season with whatever you feel is your favorite about an hour before going on. Keep cold (<40) before grilling. Definately do an idirect grill up to an internal of about 125-130, Then direct grill about 2 minues per side to get the char. Let it fully rest afterwards.

Very easy to overcook it so be careful to pull it as soon as it reaches temp. I might even be tempted to forget the char and pull it when 130 is reached, but then I like mine with decent pink in the inside. If you or your family likes it more done then maybe take it up to 140 but be sure to let it fully rest afterwards. It will continue-cook beyond your pull temp so don't be fooled.

Russ

Thanks, Russ. It turned out to be 2 smaller steaks instead of 1 larger one, so they should cook pretty fast. It's amazing how little fat there is!

Fast grill over direct heat to rare. Then enjoy. I usually only season with salt and pepper so as not to mess with the flavour of the buffalo.

That's pretty much what I did, Bob. Because of how they were cut I was able to grill on 4 sides instead of 2, which worked well and we enjoyed them.

Yes, they were probably 50-75% more expensive than a quality Angus strip steak from the grocery store.

Anyhow, I did my best to not overcook them.

BisonStripSteaks20130107_4.jpg

Close call, but I think I succeeded.;)

Back