Buckboard Bacon question ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I'm trying Buckboard Bacon. Found the areaof the fridge that will gve me the recommended 40-45 degrtee temos and hacked away at the pork butt deboning today.

I packed the cure on the meat and refridgerated around noon and looked at it tonight and there is a lot of juice that has come out of the ppork like its in a puddle of its juice. Is this natural ?

Should I remove the juice and clean the drawer it is in in the fridge (I just cleared out the fruit drawer and put it in there)?

thanks,

Tom
I have done a number of batches of Buckboard bacon, I have always kept the frig temp below 40º with good results. The juice hurts nothing and it is normal.
Jim

Yep, it's natural. Not to worry about that juice. Some folks get rid of it (from what I've seen in past threads) and some don't. I don't.

Do you just have the pork lying in the fruit drawer, or is it sitting in something else in the fruit drawer?

Can someone post a link to info on Buckboard Bacon? I'd like to investigate.

I guess I'll have to drink all the Guinness that's in the fruit drawer before making any. Or the Warsteiner in the veggie drawer.

I just put it in the fruit drawer by itself (I took out the fruit drawer and scrubbed it first)

It was hat the picture on the sheet from hi-mountain showed in their diagram. It will be a little messy I suppose but as long as it works.

I still cant help but be a little uneasy about leaving fresh meat out in my refridgerator for 10 days. I have a second fridge used for soda and beer in the basement that is rarely opened so I used that one rather than the upstairs one.

Tom,

First...adjust your refrigerator temp to between 34 and 39. DO NOT (IMHO) keep your meat in a refrig above 40. When I did my bacon I left the meat in the full 10 days and it was fine, remember, you are curing the meat, you could leave it in longer (12-14 days) if you desired a saltier bacon.

Drain the fluid, don't drain the fluid, up to you. I had my butts in 2lb zip lock bags and it was easy to do so I drained it.

When finished curing, make sure you rinse and soak the meat the full two hours, changing water about every 30-45 minutes.

Just follow the instructions, except for that temperature thing, and you will be completely happy with your results.

Ahhh, well then....just be sure to sterilize that drawer later on.

Chris, my fruit drawer is full of Guinness, too! The lemons are sitting on the counter, lol.

One must have one's priorities.

Bruce is right---don't skimp on the soaking!

Also, if you can ever find pork bellies, try 'em. They make THE BEST bacon!

Chris, I've got a step by step I did on my website.

www.bbqboard.com

What to do about the liquid seems to be a matter of choice. Some say it takes away flavor to drain it. I've tried both ways and can't tell a difference.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Morgan:
Chris, I've got a step by step I did on my website.

http://www.bbqboard.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, thanks for the link. Just took a spin around your site. Click on the NC BBQ book "shortcut" and was suprised to see the mention of the massive pits at M&K in Granite Quarry. That's my hometown. Mom and dad still live there. Back when M&K was Waynes' BBQ, they had the best beef ribs ever! Yes, beef ribs in NC.

Going to do the Buckboard soon. But not soon enough. Don't have a free day for about a month.

Chris I know the feeling...so much meat to smoke, so little time!

I haven't done bb bacon in months and I'm out of my freezer bags. Time to get to curing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back