Buckboard Bacon question

Shane Atwood

TVWBB Member
I have some buckboard bacon curing in the fridge. I want to make one chunk maple flavored. Should I just baste it with maple syrup when it is smoking? or is another way better?
This forum is the best!!!!!

I just smoked 15# last weekend. Smoked with sugar maple, and covered the outside with maple syrup before putting it in the smoker. Didn't baste with additional syrup, but probably would've been a good idea. Bacon is delicious though! But now I need a slicer as it takes quite awhile to slice 15 pounds of bacon.

I add the maple syrup to the cure before I put it in the fridge. I can taste in the bacon later when cooked.

Griff

Al--Butt.

Shane--Basting is a good idea. Or add some maple syrup to the cure now if you've still got a lot of time left on it.

Thanks guys. Is there any reason why you couldn't do it with fresh pork bellies or is it called "buckboard" because it's done with butts????

Al

Nope, no reason. You can use bellies. If they are thinner than the typical boned butt (3"-3.5") cure them for a shorter time. But try the butt some time. Really delicious.

My understanding of this bacon thing is that butts become buckboard bacon. Pork loins become Canadian bacon. Bellies are just bacon. But I could be wrong about any of this.

Griff

Thanks everyone! I did a buckboard butt this weekend that turned out great. Its funny when you bring some to work for a friend, you all of a sudden have a lot more "friends". On Thanksgiving morning I am smoking some canadian bacon (loins) and I will baste that with some maple syrup. I used Hi Mountain cure. It seems to work well. Is that the way to go? or does anyone have a secret cure?

I don't know how we got along before the internet? This site has increased my BBQ skills unbelievably! Even my wife likes what I BBQ.
Thanks for everyones help.

One more thing that I forgot to mention. I made a BLT with some thick cut Buckboard bacon. Let me tell you that is how a BLT is supposed to be. Once you get hooked you will never go back...

Back