Buckboard bacon lighting preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
Yep......another post on buckboard bacon. In all the discussion, I don't see anyone talk about the lighting method. Seems like due to the short cooking time and low temp, Minion method would be the fastest and easiest. Seems like standard method lighting and bringing temp down to 200 would take almost as long as the cook? What's everyone doing?

I did Minion with about 15-20 lit coals. Left one vent open about 1/2. Temp held around 200 for a couple hours, but eventually climbed to 220 by the end of the cook.

This bacon is addictive

I had a 7 pound boneless butt from costco, so used the better part of one of the packages of cure from the Hi Mtn. box. I left it curing only nine days, turned it over at 5 days. I probably didn't rinse it quite long enough (only about 1 or 1-1/2 hours) since it is slightly more salty than I like (but still darn good). I put it in the freezer for about an hour prior to slicing, and got pretty consistent 1/4 inch slices. Make sure you slice it against the grain.

Enjoy.

Yep, I do a modified minion (well, modified cuz you don't need the coals to take you overnight, just a couple of hours). I put the bacon in right away and let it slowly ramp up to 200 (which is what the directions want you to do anyway). This time I actually let it sit in the smoker for an hour with the vents closed, after the meat hit 140. Man that is some good bacon!

Did a pork loin for canadian bacon as well as a butt for the regular stuff. Both excellent with great hickory smoked flavor. I had slathered maple syrup on all the pieces before hand and hit 'em with some freshly ground pepper too.

I saw some pig tails at the market (!) and except for the bone they look like they'd make good bacon. Not much meat on 'em tho and I think they were pricey. They had pigs ears too. What on earth do you do with them? You could rebuild an entire hog from this market I think.

Great, my thought's exactly Minion it is.

stl-rich...just follow the directions in the Hi- Mountain cure box....do a searchin the forum, you'll find tons of posts.

bylons200... What a great place...A Tenn. guy asking about Husker football. I'll be brief in answering your question, since this is a BBQ forum, but that's hard when talking about Husker football. Wasn't thrilled with the way Solich was let go and the whole secrecy thing. Now that it's over, I'm very excited for fall. I like Callahan, his coaching choices, his position changes, and the spring game was very promising. Husker's with a West Coast offense...who ever thought. I think there are some old traditionalists that aren't sold yet, but overall response is very positive. Even if it's a slow start, just seeing something different is going to be exciting. OK I'll stop, I could go on and on.......... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just finished my first BBBacon cook. Looks good but I'll wait until tomorrow morning to slice it.

Let this one cure for 7 days. Have one more that I will cook in 3 more days. Had two pork butts, deboned and cut them both in half and decided to cure one for 7 days and the other for 10 days just to compare the difference, if any. Will let you know.

This one sure looks good!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif After rinsing and soaking I coated both halves with maple syrup and then many turns of fresh ground pepper. Used the MM with one chimney of unlit Kingsford and 20 lit coals. The smoke was supplied by 2 chunks of apple and one chunk of oak. When the temp got to 190* I closed 2 vents and the 3rd down to 50%. Temp went to 202* and hung for the whole 2 hour cook. Put 2 turkey thighs on the lower rack and when the bacon hit 140* I pulled it and moved the turkey to the top rack, opened the 2 closed vents all the way the grate temp went to 300* and I pulled the turkey out of the smoker at 170* internal.

Everything went just like I would have planned it!

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning, and good it was too!!

Haven't tried the turkey yet, that's dinner tonight but the bacon was great.

Forgot to mention that during the 2 hour soak of the cured pork I changed the water 3 times the first hour and twice during the second hour. Salt level in the finished bacon seems about right for my taste.

Will surely be making more of this bacon in the future even tho' it is borderline ham.

Thanks for all the help from the board. You sometimes answer my questions before I know I have a question. Awesome group of people!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back