Buckboard Bacon help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank C

TVWBB Fan
I just took my boneless butts (4 of them)out of the fridge after a 10 day cure, all in a bottom drawer of the fridge. I flipped and moved them all on day 5... this is my first time doing this so...

Should I be concerned with the color of the meat... I have some red areas as well as some darker brownish areas on the meat?

I plan to soak two hours after the rinse and change the water every 30 mins is that ok?

I will let dry after the soak.. should I rub with maple syrup and pepper or just smoke it dry?

I thought if I was going to go it I might as well do a bunch. I used the Himountain rub/cure. Any other advice?

Thanks,Frank

Nice to meet you Frank. I'm new to this board as of today. Great to see another person that cures his own meat. I've been curing meat for some time now. Just curious if you had your butts in a pickle or did you cure them by sprinkling the cure on dry. Both systems work but using a pickle and injecting the pickle at about a rate of 10% of the total weight of the meat really speeds things up. Four or five days total would have been enough. The soak and rinse you refered too will work quite well. After the soak, pepper on the meat will be Ok but please do not rub the syrup on prior to smoking. Your smoke penetration will be minimal. The best way is dry your butts off and let them sit out for about 1 hour so the perricle cn form. You will know when it forms because the meat will be somewhat dry and tacky to the touch. This is key for smoke penetraion. As far as the color variations...no problem, happens t me every time and once it cooks it'll all taste the same...darn good. Good Luck

Steve thanks very much. I did the sprinkle (rub) method. I like the idea of injecting to speed up the process. Do you have a good pickle recipe? Great advice concerning smoke penetration. I will rub with fresh cracked pepper (after the tacky dry).

By the way,I am using a combo of cherry and hickory wood for the smoke. thanks again! Frank

To be honest with you Frank I've got some pickle recipes but I tell yo there are a lot of places that sell these and they are dirt cheap. Some places I patronize is midwesternresearch.com, butcher-packer.com, and alliedkenco.com. They all have curing supplies and you can cure darn near a whole hog buying it from these people for less than 20 dollars. The only cure I make home made now that I kind of created from trial and error is a cure for salmon. I really like it. The only problem is that when I smoke salmon my wife and kids seem to polish off the leftovers so I better get a good filling the night it comes off the smoker.

If you would like it let me know I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Taking the lazy way out..You bet Jim I would like to get in touch with you.

Anytime Jim. I'm by no means an expert on curing and making sausage but one thing I do know leftovers are usually scarce. By the way I love the Minion Method of cooking for prolonged times. Never thought to try something like that with my El Cheapo I use to own.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Steve
Welcome
I do sausage and some curing, hope we can talk some more later.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back