Buckboard bacon butt size

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Peoples.

Are 7 and 1/2 lbs butts to large for buckboard bacon cureing. Should I cut them in half or just cure them a couple extra days.

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Charlie,

I did a 7 lb butt (before deboning) and I had every intention of cutting it in half to cure. By the time I got the bone out of it, the whole thing just kinda flattened out on me, so I did it whole.

No regrets, came out great! The only thing that surprised me was how quick it came to 140* on the WSM.

Tom,

Could you tell me how many days you brined. Thanks

Charlie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Charlie,
I did 2 last week and both of them were around that weight. After I got them trimmed very good they didn't look to be too thick. I believe the instructions called for 3 to 3 1/2 inchs thick. I let mine cure for an extra day, a total of 11 days. I did have to adjust the thermosatat on my frig to get it around the 42 degree range.

Like what Tom said, it don't take long to get it up to 140. Less than 3 hours at 205 at the grate. It is some great stuff!

Ed

Do not cure your butts at 42 degrees. I beleive this is what the Hi-Mountain instructions call for but I would think that is suspect. I cured mine at at 36-38 degrees.

I think, as in cooking, if meat stays between 40-140 too long you might have some problems. Perhaps others who know more on the subject could chime in.

Charlie,

I did the full 10 days in the cure.

By all means listen to Bruce. He is the resident expert on Buckboard Bacon. In fact, we're thinking of changing his name to Buckboard Bruce. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bruce,
I was kinda wondering about the instructions for the 42 degree curing temp. I just assumed the cure would take care of it at the higher temp. So much for following instructions!

How long will the smoked bacon keep in the refrig?

Ed

I butterfly my butts for buckboard curing. Last time I did an 8 1/2 lb boneless fellow.

They seem to last quite awhile in the fridge (if your family and friends don't clean you out of bacon pronto). I've been known to either preslice (or not) some and put it in the freezer, which works beautifully by the way.

Tom

I've been called worse things. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have opened up packages that I have vac-sealed and they have only stayed around a couple of days. It never seems to stay around long enough to see "how long" it will keep. I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than 4 or 5 days though.

Mine has kept in the fridge for well more than 4 to 5 days, so...take yer chances. The stuff IS cured and smoked, and the whole purpose of that process is to extend the life of meats, so...

I do appreciate the caution the members here exercise over food safety, but I'm 100% sure you can go over a week or two without fear.

Also, SCOTT---the buckboard bacon instructions come with a pretty good tutorial on how to debone the thing (tho I butchered mine just the same. BUT...when I finally got the boneless one from Costco, I noticed that my job was better than theirs.)

I guess I should open the package and read the directions/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think that I am going to make some of their sausage this weekend and start the BB cure next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back