Bronze Fasteners

Kevin Coulombe

TVWBB Member
I know a lot of people replace their bolts with stainless steel and I was planning on doing the same but my dad was visiting and mentioned that I would be better off with bronze. For one, if it did get stuck it would be a heck of a lot easier to drill out (it’s for the manifold, I have both NG and LPG since I move a lot with work). So I did a bit of research and found that stainless corrodes aluminum, I know a lot of people use it so it can’t be that quick.
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Fastener-Grades-Strength-and-Materials-s/1129.htm
I ordered some bronze fasteners from Albany County Fasteners, shipping was 6.99 but I could order 1 or 2 of each vice 5 at fastenal so it worked out to cost the same.

Honestly in all my life I have never seen corrosion form between aluminum and stainless steel. Maybe just certain stainless or aluminum alloys? But I have never seen it. Most bronze fasteners are for cosmetic purposes so I highly do NOT recommend them

Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals definitely is a thing, and specifically is between stainless steel and aluminum - IF they are in the presence of an electrolyte. This is why pipefitters install dielectric unions in hydronic piping systems, like where copper pipe connects to a water heater.

I'm with Larry, though - if you're not dumping gallons of salt brine on your hardware, it'll probably be fine. Hit the threads / contact points with a little high temp grease to isolate if you're concerned about it.

Actually not high temp grease but Never Seize. That with stainless hardware is pretty bulletproof and actually even when I have only used Never Seize on regular hardware I have not had trouble

Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals definitely is a thing, and specifically is between stainless steel and aluminum - IF they are in the presence of an electrolyte. This is why pipefitters install dielectric unions in hydronic piping systems, like where copper pipe connects to a water heater.

I'm with Larry, though - if you're not dumping gallons of salt brine on your hardware, it'll probably be fine. Hit the threads / contact points with a little high temp grease to isolate if you're concerned about it.
The electrolyte bit explains a couple things: 1. Why nobody has had this problem despite the stainless bolts being a common upgrade. 2. Why boating forums advocate brass bolts due to the stainless bolts shearing, they’re submerged in salt water.
I found some proper sized stainless bolts in my box o bolts so I coated them in copper anti-seize until they looked like they were made of copper, based on the feedback here that should work.

Back