BRITU

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I just made my first batch of BRITU Ribs and they were pretty awesome and my family destroyed them. But to me they seemed that they should have fallen off the bone easier. I cooked them about 30 minutes longer than the recipe stated(on accident) would that cause this?? any ideas....But still for my very first smoke job I thought it went well....

The recipe is really not set up for fall off the ribs, in competition that would be scored down as over done, now that doesn't mean falling off the bone is wrong.

To get to falling off the bone the easiest way is by using foil, try three hours in the cooker then 2 hours in foil with a little liquid add.
Check to see if they are to the texture your looking for,if not seal them back up and cook a little longer.

Jim

Jack,

I think that the perfect cooking point is effortlessly clean bones with texture. "Falling off of the bones" probably amounts to somewhat overd
one. Anyone can boil them till they fall off of the bones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon N:
I think that the perfect cooking point is effortlessly clean bones with texture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vernon,
Care to share your method of getting that perfect cooking point? I'm still in the shallow water when it comes to ribs. The darn things are just either so expensive for b'backs or I can't find any spares that didn't come from a brontosaurus!
Therefore I don't cook many. :-(

Hey Charles,

Hope all is fine overthere in TN.

I just finished a rib smoke yesterday and got my ribs rom Sam's Club. They were $3.87 a pound and a package with 3 racks weighed 7 1/4 pounds - so the racks were definitely a good size.

I also cooked them for just over 5 hours and while they were not "falling off the bone", they were very moist and delicious.

Ray

Things is OK in Tennessee, thanks for askin'. :-)

7.25 / 3 = 2.42 lb. each. Good size, though I like "three and a half and down".

$3.87/lb! That's *FREAKIN' HIGH*!
$28.06 + tax! Whew!
We would have had to drink water with those!
Too expensive to be able to buy beer!!

BRITU calls for baby backs. Were these spares of loin backs? Sam's has both.

I once sent the wife to WalMart for ribs.
She came home with 3 racks that tipped the scales at 4.5 lb each! Bronto ribs!
Probably from an old, played-out sow, rather than a boar hog.

Charles,

I have not yet figured out how to hit the perfect point. I just keep experimenting and hitting around it. Currently I am running about 4 hours, foil for one to one and a half and then finish out of foil w/ sauce for 1/2 to 1 hour.

The WSM and BRITU w/ modifications put me light years ahead of my efforts on the grill. Still have not mastered it, but SO much better than the grill efforts.

Yeah the texture was great...i guess they turned out better than I thought as far as judging goes....work in progress i guess

Back