BRITU Turned Out Very Salty

Andrew S. B.

TVWBB Member
My ribs turned out very salty. What did i do wrong?

I followed the BRITU rub recipe on this site. Took 3 slabs of pork spares, trimmed St. Louis style, and really packed the rub on the ribs. I think that's my mistake. I used quite a lot of rub. Also, i let the rubbed ribs sit overnight in the fridge, and when i checked in the afternoon there was a buncha liquid in the tray that had been pulled out of the ribs.

I also don't know if the ribs were enhanced. i bought them from behind the counter at Stater Bros for 99 cents a pound, defrosted.

Thanks!

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Apply a "good overall dusting" of rub and allow ribs to sit at room temperature for 2 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some people complain that BRITU ribs taste too salty. One cause is applying too much rub. The recipe says, "Do not over season. A good overall dusting of the spices is all that's needed." The key word is "dusting", so go lighter on the rub than you normally would. Also, you must sauce the ribs as directed after cooking. The sweetness of the sauce balances the saltiness of the rub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, aparently i'm not much for instructions!!! Thanks, that answered my question. I didn't even use much sauce, should probably read the whole thing before trying it next time!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew,

I think that maybe leaving them overnight may have been more of your culprit than anything else. I left my first ribs overnight, and they were really, really salty. Thats when I learned that two hours means, well, two hours.

Good luck on your cooking!

You can go a bit heavier on the rub (and get more non-salty flavor) if you use kosher salt instead of regular salt.

I also avoid the brown sugar drying step by replacing ALL the sugar with turbinado sugar ("Sugar in the Raw").

Back