BRITU Success

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

Just wanted to report that my first smoke went extremely well ! I followed the BRITU recipe to the letter except for a different hony and no MSG.

There WAS 2 slabs of baby back and one slab of spareribs. I shared a couple with some neighbors, but mostly 2 friends and I made pigs of ourselves while watching football.

They were outstanding !!! Never had anything like them.

I can't wait til next weekend to try the Turkey recipe.

I'm hooked, BIG TIME !!!

Thanks for all your advice and for this wonderful web site !

Cheers !

Marc

Marc,
Glad to see everything went great.Glad to see you're hooked now like the rest of us.Good luck and happy smokin'.
Willy T.

Hi Marc,
Way to go! One thing you'll find out is that even on your bad cooks, it's still better than you can go out and buy. If you really want to impress your buddies, go for pulled pork (boston butt). You'll have to lock your doors so the neighbors can't get in! Ain't this great fun?

Ronnie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Currie:
[qb] I shared a couple with some neighbors, but mostly 2 friends and I made pigs of ourselves while watching football.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ribs and football. It doesn't get much better than that!

Congratulations.

I used my WSM for the first time about a week ago, with the BRITU recipe as my first experience also. The ribs had excellent flavor but weren't fall off the bone tender. I took them off after 4 hours, but didn't do the pull-apart text, I'll have to cook a bit longer next time. Also did some beef jerky the other day, which came out great, disappeared pretty fast. I'm hoping to do a pulled pork this weekend, is the Mr. Brown recipe the best one to do for a first timer?

Matt,

Unless you use foil, you won't get "fall off the bone tender" out of the WSM, or any other smoker. What you will get, and IMHO should strive for, is pull off the bone with minimal resistance tender.

It's a minor point, but I tried for a long time to get fall off the bone tender from a smoker. I finally figured out that pull off the bone had better texture and is just as tender as fall off the bone.

If you are doing baby backs, you probably needed another hour or so to get to where you want to be.

Good luck.
Doug W.

I think the thing to look for is that, when you EAT the ribs, the meat should come completely off leaving a 100% "clean" bone.

When cooking, a knife or skewer inserted between the ribs should go in and come out with virtually no resistance.

NOTE: removing the membrane before cooking is an essential step! If you lift it in the center of the slab with an oyster knife or screwdriver and grab it with a paper towel to get a good grip, it'll probably come off in one big sheet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Wilbur:
[qb]Matt,

Unless you use foil, you won't get "fall off the bone tender" out of the WSM, or any other smoker......[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, however, I started "tenderizing" my ribs a little by taking a small fork and "stabbing" the meat between the bones before put rub or wet maridade on. This seems to help them get closer to the "fall off the bone" quality. Just don't overdo the "forkin".... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back