BRITU - Spares not Baby Back?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'd like to do the BRITU recipe here, but prefer spares over BB. I assume the only thing that would change is to extend the first temp cook by another hour to 4 hours.

Anyone done this?

Yes, you extend the first part of the cook--an hour should be fine though can go longer if you choose or if it's more convenient. The second part of the cook will take longer as well. The key is to cook till done at that point and not for a specific period of time.

I pretty much never cook backs, much preferring spares; the BRITU isn't my sort of thing so I haven't done it but you should have no problem with spares. Note that some prefer not to raise the temp for the last part of the cook--your choice.

Last weekend I cooked 2BBs and a rack of spares, side by side, just to figure out the difference for myself. Like you and Kevin say, the spares take longer. It was also an exercise in BBQing at 10 degrees and blocking the wind, so there were some other variables in there also. In the end the spares were on an additional hour, that being at a higher temp, but both were equally tasty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the BRITU isn't my sort of thing so I haven't done it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried someone elses somewhere?

I just do my own thing--a combination of my own likes with some pounts I've picked up from others. If I've ever described it fully I can't find it; this post and the post two below it are the closest I can find.

Back