BRITU rub

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Chris states that 1/4 batch of the original recipe should be applied with a good overall dusting to 3 babyback ribs. Since I will be smoking 6 racks of babyback ribs, I doubled the 1/4 batch recipe and applied the dusting however I have a good 1/4 cup of the batch still left. Has anyone else found the 1/4 batch recipe to be too much for 3 racks of ribs, or did I just not dust enough? I don't want to overpower the ribs (or have them be too salty) but I also don't want bland ribs. Need help please. Thanks.

After rereading the cooking directions, I realized the rub should be applied two hours before smoking and not the night before (which I did), oh oh. I grabbed about 20 paper towels and started wiping the rub off of the ribs (the rub was on the ribs for 2 hours). Now when I reapply the rub back on the ribs (2 hours prior to the cooking), should I put more than the 1/4 cup that has been left or should I make some more rub? Need an answer soon, will be putting the ribs on the smoker at around 8am pst. thanks.

Erik

Erik,

I would put back a light "dusting" of the rub. And next time, I would also only put a light dusting on the ribs beforehand. I have found that the amount called for in the directions is way too much for my taste.
I would err on the side of "less rub" for a few cooks, then you can add more to your family's tatse.

Keep us posted on results,

Ray

I have found that small batch is way more than needed for 3 slabs. I only rub once usually. I also am on the heavy side for applying the rub. I started cutting down on the applied rub because I found it too salty for my taste. When I started doing that I had people complaining that I didn't put on enough rub. Now I cut the salt in the rub in half and have been extremely satisfied with the results.

I totally agree with Jeff, the rub is way to salty for my taste, I cut the salt back to 1/3 with then very good results. I apply mustard, rub, wrap and put in the fridge overnight.

Back