britu/royal oak/first guru cook

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I received a guru for a present last holiday season but never got around to setting it up until last weekend. I'm not very handy with tools so it took about 30 minutes for me to figure everything out, install the eyelet and hook everything up.

wsm quickly came up to temp under guru control with royal oak lump, a fist size piece of apple wood and no water in the pan. I watched it for about 30 minutes, everything seemed good to go and we ran off for errands.

came back 3 hours later and the guru was chugging along. raised temp to 250, about an hour later my wife informed me that the guru was beeping (target meat temp reached).

Ribs were great but maybe a tad too smokey. At least more smokey than usual. No complaints from family, no leftovers.

I think where the guru is going to shine is overnight cooks, when we have lots of errands or if I leave for work in the morning and want to smoke something for dinner.

It used less lump, I guess because there was no water in the pan. I suppose it will pay for itself over its lifetime. overall, a very good experience.

Back