BRITU Ribs Questions

Gary B

TVWBB Member
I've done BRITU before, and will be doing 9 slabs this weekend. I have two relatively easy questions:

For the rub, I accidentally exchanged the sugar and brown sugar quantities. I also made a full batch of the rub, so instead of 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, I used 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar. Will the extra brown sugar/molassas have any really negative effects? I'm guessing no, but thought I would check. I'm drowning my embarassment of this error in Jack this weekend.

Second question. Last time I did 9 slabs of ribs, 4 top, 5 on the bottom, I ended up with a couple of the slabs touching the top and sides of the WSM. This time, I'm considering cutting some of the slabs in 1/2, as 1/2 slabs are easier to place. Will there be any difference in finish / taste cooking 1/2 slabs versus full?

thanks.

-gbeck

No to both questions.

You might prefer the higher brown sugar content.

I would suggest continuing to be embarrassed about it so as not to forestall your Jack 'appointment', however.

Hey Kevin...
I also have a question about BRITU.
I'm planning on cooking some of these on Sunday.
I already have the BRITU rub and sauce made, so I'm 'committed' to that.
The question is, should I cook them like they're spares, or follow the BRITU method exactly?

Also need a suggestion for a side dish.
The current menu is:
Ribs, corn-on-the-cob, yeast rolls, honey butter. (Lots of starch).
I was wanting something other than slaw, potatoes, or beans, though I could be convinced to make some potato salad.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve ever high-fived one of those barbershop spinny thingies.

Charles--

You could go either way but I would recommend cooking to tenderness and not time (which, actually, I always recommend for any ribs). Danish ribs tend to be thinner and often less meaty, so it is important to have a more hands-on approach. You could, if you wish, foil with a juice addition when the ribs are well-colored.

If they are like many Danish ribs I would recommend soaking them in a mix of 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar for 5-10 minutes after you pull them from the package. Next, give them a quick rinse in cold water, dry well with paper towels and either hold in the fridge till rub time or apply the rub at that point--your choice.

As for sides, I'm thinking another hot dish, braised/roasted butternut squash with shallot, garlic and sage comes to mind, or oven-baked or grill-roasted sweet potatoes with lime-butter. Both work well with pork and corn and both are easy. Another possibility for a hot side would be braised cabbage wedges or a pecan rice.

Tomatoes are abundant here now. If you can get good tomatoes a simple plate of sliced tomatoes drizzled with a little reduced balsamic and dotted with evoo would make a nice side, or you could lay tomato slices on one side of a platter and mound a simple cucumber salad on the other side. Another chilled option would be a green tomato-cabbage-onion chow chow or maybe chilled dilled green beans since they're in season now too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Danish ribs tend to be thinner and often less meaty, so it is important to have a more hands-on approach. You could, if you wish, foil with a juice addition when the ribs are well-colored. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had indeed been thinking of repeating the "Competition Ribs" cook I did for last year's Super Bowl. Those were loin backs, but the 3-2-1 method served me well then.
It wound up being 3-.75-.25, IIRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If they are like many Danish ribs I would recommend soaking them in a mix of 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar for 5-10 minutes after you pull them from the package. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meaning they may be tough, and need some pre-cook tenderizing?

I like the sweet potatoes and the tomatoes. Might just do both!
Thanks very much, Kev!

--
Charles

You think Allegra will grow a leg back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meaning they may be tough, and need some pre-cook tenderizing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meaning that if there is a complaint about Danish ribs it often is that they're a bit 'funky' out of the package. The funk sometimes carries through the cook.

Have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meaning they may be tough, and need some pre-cook tenderizing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meaning that if there is a complaint about Danish ribs it often is that they're a bit 'funky' out of the package. The funk sometimes carries through the cook.

Have fun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eeewwwwww! OK, I'll be sure to do that.

After a little research, the menu is finalized:
Danish ribs, with BRITU rub and sauce.
Corn-on-the-cob, with honey butter and/or lime.
Yeast rolls.
Baked sweet potatoes, the easy kind, in shrink wrap.
Tomato vinaigrette.

--
Charles

You have a trophy with two mules mating on top of it.

No to both questions.

You might prefer the higher brown sugar content.

I would suggest continuing to be embarrassed about it so as not to forestall your Jack 'appointment', however. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice!

Just finished dinner. The ribs were great!

Ribs1.jpg

The skewers were to keep the ribs from sagging early in the cook. Had nine slabs total, filled both levels.
Had with cornbread and ceasar salad. Strawberries and ice cream for dessert.

-gbeck

Oh yeah, and some Jack in the afternoon :-)

Back