BRITU Question

B Severin

TVWBB Member
I am doing ribs for the first time today and will be trying the BRITU recipe/cooking technique.

When the ribs are done, should they be served immediately? If not, whats the best way to keep them "ready" until you want to eat. I don't mean several hours later, but lets say they are done but you don't want to eat until 1 hour later. How should they be stored hot until then?

Thanks.

I do the same as my brisket & butts at comps. I put them in an aluminum pan, cover with foil, wrap in towels and put in a warmed cooler. That usually holds them for an hour or so.

My second choice is to start up my grill (before ribs are done) and set up for low indirect heat. Put ribs in a covered foil pan and place on the side away from the coals. This is for short term holding as the ribs may over cook & dry out too fast.

Thanks Steve.

If I go with the aluminum pan covered with foil in the warm cooler technique, do you pull the ribs when they are done or just before they are done?

"Done" is a subjective thing. If they are going to be "ready" 30 or more minutes before turn in time, I'll pull them a wee bit early. For home cooking I'll pull them when they are ready.

Comp cooking "done" is a slightly different standard. In comp cooking the meat must be bitten off the bone leaving the rest. Home cooking most people like falling off the bone tenderness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Severin:
Thanks Steve.

If I go with the aluminum pan covered with foil in the warm cooler technique, do you pull the ribs when they are done or just before they are done? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Done" is a subjective thing. If they are going to be "ready" 30 or more minutes before turn in time, I'll pull them a wee bit early. For home cooking I'll pull them when they are ready.

Comp cooking "done" is a slightly different standard. In comp cooking the meat must be bitten off the bone leaving the rest. Home cooking most people like falling off the bone tenderness.

quote: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Steve.

Makes sense.

Back