BRITU - first attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Funk

TVWBB Member
I finally got around to attempting to do some BRITU in my WSM. The last time I tried ribs, it was *years* ago in my Weber kettle. I followed Chris' BRITU experience (elsewhere on this website) and it worked out beautifully! I made sure I didn't overrub the ribs - I guess this is easy to do and makes the ribs too salty. I used the Minion method and was able to nail 250 degrees lid (my target) very easily. Four hours, and the ribs were done perfectly. Nice and moist, meaty, and smokey.

I used my old Weber kettle rib rack, but I had to cut the first and last "rib supports" off because they would not allow the WSM lid to fit.

Yum, yum, yum! If you haven't tried BRITU, you just gotta! They are easy and really good!

- Dave Funk -

Good work David!

I couldn't agree more about BRITU. I had given up on successfully Qing anything years ago, then last summer I found this site and dusted off my old water smoker and tried BRITU. For the first time I understood what the big deal was about low-n-slow smoked BBQ. I have been hooked ever since, bought a proper WSM, started testing recipies of my own, and just one year later I am actually enjoying some competition success!

It only takes one really successful outing to get you started. It sounds like you've had yours. It only gets better from here!

I discovered this website in June, bought my WSM in July and have been bbq'g a couple of times a month since. I have made BRITU ribs four times now, the latest cook was yesterday. For the first time on Sunday I followed the recipe for the glaze using the KC Masterpiece Original recipe and honey. All other times I used whatever bbq sauce was in the frig. The KC Masterpiece Original + Honey glaze was by far the best. It really made a difference on my BRITU ribs. I guess I never made official BRITU ribs then until yesterday. The yums from my family as they eat is enough to make me want to Q everyday. I love watching my 3 year old tear meat from the bones. He ends up with sauce from his hair to his neck, but he loves those ribs! Even my finicky 5 year old daughter devours the ribs. The table is quiet during rib dinners because my kids are eating rather than screwing around as happens during most meals.

FINE! You all convinced me to try britu again/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I made them once and they were very good, but not the best. Time to try them again! Oh no, what a sacrifice, i have to eat ribs.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jason

Now that I have done BRITU and followed the recipe exactly, I am tempted to start fiddling with it.

Has anyone tried "kicking it up a notch" by cutting down on the salt a bit, adding more cayenne, and then throughly applying the rub? I think it might be fun to have some more zip to the ribs, but on the other hand, I don't want to kill the smokiness of them either...

- Dave Funk -

Yes, the BRITU recipe is a bit too salty for my taste, I do cut it in 1/2. I also add a little ground red pepper in it, as I do believe in kicking it up a notch. I also sometimes use Splenda instead of sugar as I am always trying to reduce carbs...no worries about bitterness like with Equal (I never use Aspartame in ANYTHING I cook).

Now one thing I do sometimes add in to the rub when I am not low carbing it is a single serving envelope of Swiss Miss Apple Cider. The cider mix with the spiciness of the red pepper really works well with whatever you are cooking...

regards,
PrestonD

DarrenC
You have heard about BA?
BBQ'rs Anonymous, my names is Darren and I Love Pig Candy.
You may need help!
And if your curious, I don't have a problem, a problem, a problem.....
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back