BRITU + Famous Dave's = WOW

FJ Abraham

TVWBB Fan
Well I suppose this is mostly for Famous Dave's fans. I prefer homemade ribs but am never disappointed when visiting Famous Dave's. I've never really gotten the Famous Dave's type rib out of my smoker though, until tonight.

For those who are interested, I used the BRITU rub (I use coarse kosher salt instead of table salt, it rubs better and it is actually less salt per measure) and smoked a couple slabs of spareribs K.C. style for 3 hours at 235 and an additional 2 hours at 245-250, applying apple juice a couple times after the 3 hour mark.

After they were done I foiled and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. I was also making my new recipe for Candy Chicken Wings which requires high direct heat so I already had the Weber going. I applied a 50/50 Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy and Sweet & Zesty to both sides of the ribs. I tossed the two slabs on over very high heat to caramelize the sauce.

I have never had my ribs turn out this good. Perfectly done, meaty, tear test perfect, absolutely clean bones.

Although I disagree about the quality of Famous Dave's ribs, I do agree with using their sauces with the BRITU recipe. I have had great sucess with their Rich & Sassy as well as Devil's Spit on my ribs. However, I have never had any ribs at the restaurant that were good. The brisket and pork have been a pretty safe bet there, but never the ribs. I love their Texas Manhandler sandwich there. Brisket and sausage...mmmmm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Swisher:
Although I disagree about the quality of Famous Dave's ribs, I do agree with using their sauces with the BRITU recipe. I have had great sauces with their Rich & Sassy as well as Devil's Spit on my ribs. However, I have never had any ribs at the restaurant that were good. The brisket and pork have been a pretty safe bet there, but never the ribs. I love their Texas Manhandler sandwich there. Brisket and sausage...mmmmm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian,

You know, it's funny you say that about FD. I have heard many people on both sides of the fence concerning their ribs, some like them some do not.

Personally I suspect that it may be due to location, as some of the restaurants are corporate and some are franchise, I think it makes a difference. I have definitely eaten at FD's that are not as good as the one I can visit near where I live. I suppose some of it may also be due to the quality of regional meat available.

In the end, I like a rib that is meaty, and comes off the bone cleanly, but is not mushy/overly tender. This is what I get 90% at FD's. I also like their technique of caramelizing the sauce on the ribs, makes the sauce much better in my opinion.

Finally, even if I weren't a fan of FD's, I have to say I've never had ribs out to eat as good as his, I've tried few places that were supposed to be really good (St. Louis, Chicago, etc.) but was pretty disappointed with tomato soup sauces and rubbery mushy meat.

I live in Michigan, so that may have something to do with it. I have never really had "great" quality ribs at any restaurant around here. Don't get me wrong, they are edible and taste decent enough, but never great. I have a general rule now not to even order them when I go out to eat.

I have to agree with you. Even though I like FD's, I prefer home. Plus it's a much better deal. I did two full slabs plus two full tips for $16 yesterday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FJ Abraham:
... I applied a 50/50 Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy and Sweet & Zesty to both sides of the ribs. I tossed the two slabs on over very high heat to caramelize the sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FJ - This may be sacrilegious around here, but I was not happy with that honey-mixed BBQ sauce glaze when I did BRITU. I've got a cupboard full of FD's sauces and prefer any of those. I'll give your mix a try next time, or may throw in some Devil's Spit. That's my favorite.

I also will try the high heat of a Weber kettle to finish the ribs. I can't get the heat I want for finishing in my WSM.

jrp

jrp,

I have to agree with you about the KC Masterpiece. I've never found it to be even close to a masterpiece, and yes, that opinion may get us in trouble around here.

I can't under emphasize the carmelization step over high heat, excellent.

Back