BRITU country-style success (shoulder CSRs)

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
A friend of mine invited us up to the North GA mountains for New Year's weekend, and him being a HUGE fan of anything Jamaican, I think I will smoke some jerk pork for him. There will only be 4 of us, so a whole butt would be too much food. So I've decided that country-style ribs were my best option. Having not done them before, and having read on this board that they can be a bit tricky, I set out to make a trial run today.

This morning, I went to the store and I was able to find both country-style ribs cut from the loin AND country-style ribs cut from the shoulder. The ones from the shoulder did include a small piece of shoulder blade bone, I suppose to make them seem more like ribs. I decided to go with these, since shoulder is commonly used for jerking pork.

I decided to try the BRITU rub because I hadn't done it before. I think next time, I'll apply it a bit heavier than a "dusting" - there wasn't quite enough rub flavor for my liking. But aside from that, it was a very easy cook. 275 degrees for 2.5 hours. Then I foiled them for 1 hour till they hit 190. It wasn't as moist as I'm used to with a well-rendered butt, but still fork-tender. My homemade pork paint mustard sauce paired up great with the ribs.

Looking forward to making some jerk pork in a couple of weeks. Next time, I'll try to post up visual results as well.
icon_smile.gif

Back