BRITU and Other- Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
I am planning on doing the BRITU recipe, and also adding another rack or 2 with some purchased rub and adding Dreamland sauce to finish.

The BRITU recipe is so precise- can I do the other ribs at the same time on the lower grate, or should I start now and do them in two separate batches?

I am running to the store, I will check back in a little bit. Thanks.

BRITU is but one of infinite ways to do ribs. BRITU was merely the winning recipe for a contest years ago and contests have been won with different recipes before and since. That contest was judged by a handful of judges, not the entire universe. Furthermore many of us here aren't thrilled with BRITU anyway.

Cook 'em how you like and have fun, that's all that matters. No reason you can't cook 2 different batches together although the lower grate temperature will be a bit different.

Thanks Jim and Jason- -
Turns out that we didn't have all the spices necessary or the time to dry out the brown sugar, let it sit for 2 hours, etc.

So I am doing a rack of BB's cut in half, and one huge rack of spares. They had a big flap on the back of them. Probably need to check Chris' "How to select and prepare ribs". I just left it on there and am cooking them now.

Also the membrane was very tough to identify on the BB's and remove. Easier on the spare. Perhaps the butcher at the grocery store had already removed it? It certainly was not as nice and easy as Chris' video example. Oh well, hopefully I did it right.

I'll post tomorrow and tell how they turned out.

The BB membrane was baffling to me the first time but once you figure it out it's easy. The trick is in starting the corner.

Next time try slathering the ribs with French's yellow mustard before applying rub. Trust me.

Well, finished the ribs at the 5 hour mark last night. Threw them in foil and took them down the road to a friend's house. There, we threw them on his gasser to heat a little, and baste our sauces on.

The spares were great, but really spicy, tangy hot. I will note next time to use less (or different rub) with that purchased (Dreamland) sauce. The BB's were more sweet due to the BRITU 5 parts KC, 1 part honey- sauce. The sweetness overpowered the rub.

The smoke penetration on the spares was unbelievable. the meat was tender, but firm. Same with the BB's. There was a smokey, yet not overpowering taste from the hickory (used 4 or 5 slivers since all the chunks had bark).

I would say my first batch of ribs was a unqualified success. These were the same friend's that ate the 10 pound butt. They are starting to get real impressed with my smoking ability.

I owe it to you guys. Thanks so much.

Wade

PS (and now the long wait until next weekend, when I can smoke something else)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back