briskets flats

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all. Long time lurker first time poster. Have received more valuable info from this site than anyother. My question is how to cook brisket flats? Time Temp aannd how to prevent dryness?
TIA

My suggestion would be to first buy choice rather than select, and look for one of decent size. Secondly, don't cook too low-- too low a cooking temp usually will result in dried out meat-- maybe aim for 240-250* at the grate and aim for a final internal temperature of around 185-190* rather than trying to go by time. Third, if the cut you purchase doesn't have at least a 1/4" fat cap on it, consider laying strips of bacon on top and/or basting with a mop that contains some oil to add and preserve moisture. Be sure, finally, to let it rest 20-30 minutes before slicing.

Good advice from Doug. What I do with flats is zero prep I just sprinkle with rub either straight on the flat or over a light coat of spicy mustard. Cook at 250-275 for 90 minutes, flip cook for another 90 minutes then double foil with a bit of coke and cook to 195-200 internal. Rest. Optional finish is to coat with sauce and bake it on in the smoker just before serving.
HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back