Brisket

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
I've got a prep that I go thru when applying rubs to my brisket. Sorry, but I can't go into full detail because it's a secret(?) recipe from a competitor. One of the ingredients is beef base (powdered). All I have on hand is granulated beef bouillon. Will this work as a substitute? Should I crush it into a powdered form?

My finished briskets, to this point, come out with a very tasty, but mushy exterior. Kinda like frosting on a cake. If you put a finger in it, it'll smear. Granted, when I slice/chop my brisket all of that mush gets distributed throughout the meat and provides a great taste. But I was wondering, is this the type of finish/exterior that I should be looking for? I hear of people doing things to "tighten" the bark on their briskets. Like I said, mine is very tasty and people love it, but it just doesn't seem quite right texture wise. Especially if I was doing a competition I don't think it would meet the standard. But I could be wrong. What do y'all think?

Rick

Without being an expert by a long shot Id have to say its something in your cooking technique. Maybe over cooking, do you foil?

Ive always used Jim Minions technique with perfect results. No mushiness at all.

Hi Jim. I don't foil and I probably have more of a tendency to slightly undercook as opposed to overcook. Go figure, huh? I usually go for about 187* or a little more in the thickest part of the flat. I know of guys who jack up the heat towards the end to get that "tightening" effect. Maybe I should try that. I just hate experimenting on what is already a tasty product, and not to mention a whole lotta meat($), but I guess it could get better.

I went and looked at your pics from last years brisket. Mine doesn't get near that type of a bark. Do you ever experience dry brisket when you cook it to that point? I can't seem to find Jims method, could you provide a link? Thanks man, that looks great!

One last thing, at what temp should I cook it to that assures a moist flat and a done point. I know some folks say to separate the two at a certain time and to cook the point longer. But most folks I've watched never do that and yet they come out with a great product, both the flat and the point. Yet when I do that the point doesn't always seem to be quite right. Underdone I believe. Any suggestions?

Powdered beef base is essentially powdered bouillon cubes. The difference (might) lie in variations among ingredients.

Jim Minion does not foil with liquid--he doesn't foil at all.

Your texture issue sounds like it could be rub related. Do you use a lot of rub?

Yes Kevin, I do use a lot of rub. Four applications of different types of rub, all in the beginning. That's the way I was shown to do it by a champion cook. Maybe I'm overdoing it. I'll lighten up this time and see what happens.

One thing I do do that my cook friend didn't suggest is I apply a coat of a Worchestershire type sauce prior to applying the rubs. Again it really adds to the taste, but maybe it's another reason for my final mushy results.

Thanks!

Without knowing your ingredient list (and I'm not asking
icon_smile.gif
) it is possible that an ingredient or two is holding too much moisture for too long. It's also possible that, if the rub quantity is hefty, the rub is forming bark but re-absorbing juices during the resting period. Mouthfeel in this case is somewhat grainy and kind of pasty. Try less--perhaps much less--and see what you think. The Worcestershire is not likely the problem.

I do not separate the point for cooking nor do I separate it later and cook it longer. It's done--to me--when the flat is. I know many people prefer a more-cooked, dryer point but I (and my usualy guests) much prefer it as it comes from the foil after the rest. You may try bumping your finish temp slightly (I know you don't want to mess with a good thing but...). Perhaps 190-192 or so, or even 195 depending on the brisket. (I find most briskets I do of late seem to be best at 190-192 but I took a particularly thick brisket to 195 the other day on a hunch--worked very well.)

Btw, powder the granules finely.

Also, I should note, Jim foils for resting--not during the cook.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll do some tweaking tonight. I'd still like to see Jim M's version of how to cook a brisket if anyone can point me in the right direction.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rick
I also like adding a lot of rub but I don't like using worcestershire because I find it overpowering in the flavor print (it maybe that my rubs don't go well with it).
I cook fat side down, the cooking temps is based on what type of brisket I'm cooking. CABs and choice brisket 235 is the average temp. If I'm cooking prime or Kobe I lower the pit temps to 190 to 205 range. I pull the brisket off the cooker at 190 internal will wrap in foil and and place in a dry cooler for 2 to 4 hours.
Note: With Kobes and Primes the pull temps can be lower, anywhere from 180 up.

I am playing with a couple of different cooking styles, one is a high pit temp cook (295 to 325)
that uses foil and the other is a more of a traditional cook but foiling at 170 internal, adding a marinade. I will also pull the briskets off at 190 and place in a dry cooler.
All three methods will work, each has it's strenghts and weaknesses. It's a matter of practicing each and getting the timing down.
Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. These are choice, so I'll shoot for the 235* temp you mentioned. Pull at 190* and rest. Will do.

OK ... I'll quit buggin you guys and start preppin my rubs. I'm doing an overnighter so I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon how it all came out.

Rick

SUCCESS!!! Using the tips I got from y'all my briskets came out great! I used less rub and pulled them at a slightly higher temp and it did the trick. No more musky bark .. yeehaw!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks guys,
Rick

upon edit: I've had musky bark on my wood, but never on my meat!
icon_rolleyes.gif
Stoopid typos!

Rick,
You should charge for admission for this string. I too have had some issues with rub "frosting" (great description). I don't layer many different rubs, and i have gotten away from too much fine powders in the rub.

I always attributed some of this softenting to the resting period in foil...all hot and steamy and juices surronding the bark.

I'm ready to attack a brisket soon, maybe this weekend. Thanks for starting an interesting string...and posting your results.

Joe,

I agree you could make some money charging people to see this string.
Heres a technique I invented by mistake...I tried a brisket (little ove 6 lb flat) a few weeks back where I used plane yellow mustard as a slather befor the rub. I saw afew people do this at my last contest so i thought i'd give it a try. Then i smoked it at low pit temps between 180 and 220 all night. When I got up the meat we at ~150 so I upped the temp to the 225 to 235 range at ~3:30 meat was at about 170 and i was getting hungry so I foiled it and upped the temp to 250. Finally pulled it at 7:30 with meat at 185. It could have gone just a little more but I was starving by this time. Anyway one of the best briskets yet. Smoke ring was almost 1". Now I just need to figure out what time to start this process to be ready for a 1:30 turn in.

Kirk
You can start the cook at the same low pit temps but once the internal of the brisket reaches 140º go ahead and bump the temp up to say 240º and you will get a little quicker finish.
Jim

Thanks Kirk and Joey, I'm glad you liked this thread and I hope it helps you too. But if anybody should get paid, it's the guys with the answers not the guy with the questions.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've thanked everyone, but I really need to give an extra nod to Kevin K. for taking the time to talk to me (offsite) about the importance of quality vs quantity. I actually got what he was saying. Thanks Kev, your tops in my book.
icon_smile.gif

Rick

Back