Brisket

DTinley

TVWBB Member
I just bought a 12.8llb brisket from Sams.

I want to smoke it at 225-250 to a internal temp of about 180-185.

Any sugestions of how long this will take?

When I used to do low temp brisket cooks, I would figure about an hour to hour and fifteen minutes per pound.

So, for me, a 13 lb packer would finish before resting at 12-14 hours. There are many variables however. I found that the bigger they are, the cooking time was lower per pound.

I do all briskets now in a high temp cook. Whole briskets are done in about 5 hours before rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I want to smoke it at 225-250 to a internal temp of about 180-185. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Begin checking for tenderness at this point. Pull it at or a bit before tenderness is achieved. Good luck with your cook.

I did an 11 pounder last night low and slow; it took about 12 hours. Rested in an ice chest for 3 hours then I just had to have a chopped beef sammie. Very tasty. My previous brisket was a high temp, so I did this one for comparison. The 2 were very tasty. About the only difference was perhaps a firmer bark and of course the high temp took about half the time.

Back