Brisket Under Spares

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Any reason that I shouldn't do a brisket under 3 racks of spares? I'm a bit worried about the drippings on the brisket. I'd rather do the brisket on the bottom as I don't want to be juggling grates to turn my ribs and then remove them.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

No reason I can think of. The brisket will benifit from the drippings from the spares. Have at it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan (and others), where would you measure the smoker temp? I have an ET-73 with the grate clip and I usually connect to the underside of the top grate so the probe rests about 1 inch below the bottom of the top grate. I'm wanting to shoot for 225 - 235. Also, I use the clay pot saucer mod. if that makes any difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Bryan (and others), where would you measure the smoker temp? I have an ET-73 with the grate clip and I usually connect to the underside of the top grate so the probe rests about 1 inch below the bottom of the top grate. I'm wanting to shoot for 225 - 235. Also, I use the clay pot saucer mod. if that makes any difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, glad you mention the clay saucer. With using that make sure you put the brisket fat side down. The radiant heat coming off of it can make for a real crispy bark on a long cook. Since the brisket is the prized meat I myself would put the clip on the lower rack as to make sure it's not getting too hot above the saucer.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, thanks for your input. Since I'm starting the brisket earlier than the ribs I could always put the brisket on the top rack, then when I had the ribs mover her to the bottom rack. So would I start fat side up and then when I move to the bottom go fat side down? Also, when adding my ribs, I'll want to put some additional wood chunks on, will this hurt/or over-smoke my brisket? . . . I'm starting to think it might just be easier just to do the ribs and do a brisket some other day.

Larry, you can start it on the top and then move it down that's what i do as long as the meat that's going to be moved is manageable. Like a 18lb chuck roll would be put on the bottom from the start. I cook all my briskets these days fat side down. It protects the charcaol side of brisket which can get quite crisp no matter if it's on the top or bottom rack. As far as the wood figure what you would normally use for a brisket cook and what you would use for a rib cook if doing them seperate. Then take out from the brisket amount what you use just for ribs and set them pieces aside for when you put the ribs on. Tried to make that make sense, not sure if it does? Say if you use 5 pieces for brisket and 2 for ribs then just put 3 in when the brisket goes on and save the other 2 for when the ribs go on.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tried to make that make sense, not sure if it does? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes perfect sense . . . although I'm wondering if I'm making this too complicated and if maybe I should do the brisket another day . . . or do the ribs another day . . . Just wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew with moving meat around, moving probes, etc. . . . I'll probably be drinking too and don't want to screw both the ribs and the brisket up.

Back