Brisket - timing question

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I am curious how most here time their brisket cooks if they plan on eating it for a late afternoon dinner.

Last time I did brisket, I did an overnight cook...this was a full 10 lb brisket. It finished WAY too early the next day. about 8 hours before I needed it to be done. SO, I had to reheat it later, bleck.

It cooked much faster than the 10+ butts that I have done overnight.

Do you start it at midnight or do you get up early to start it (not my favorite...)?

I thought about doing it overnight but setting the WSM to 210F or so until the next day and adjust based on how it is getting done.

OR I could do it that morning and set the temps to 250-275F to get it done faster.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
I am curious how most here time their brisket cooks if they plan on eating it for a late afternoon dinner.

Last time I did brisket, I did an overnight cook...this was a full 10 lb brisket. It finished WAY too early the next day. about 8 hours before I needed it to be done. SO, I had to reheat it later, bleck.

It cooked much faster than the 10+ butts that I have done overnight.

Do you start it at midnight or do you get up early to start it (not my favorite...)?

I thought about doing it overnight but setting the WSM to 210F or so until the next day and adjust based on how it is getting done.

OR I could do it that morning and set the temps to 250-275F to get it done faster.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High Temp Brisket!!!

Start at 9, dinner at 4.

JimT

For me a 10 pound brisket would go on 12-13 hours before dinner. I cook around 250 and a 11-12 pounder usually is ready in about 12 hours.

If that means getting up in the middle of the night have everything ready to go. have the charcoal and smoke wood packed in. I like to keep an eye on mine the first hour or so. If you have a remote therm you can do that from the bedroom.

I heat up brisket all the time and it turns out great. I don't slice it before the reheat. I do full packers and seperate the point when the flat is done. The point gets foiled and put back on the smoker for another couple of hours. After I take it off and after the rest I take the large amount of fat off and put into the pan with the point. When it is time to reheat I add some water, vineager, and/or apple juice. I gently reheat around 300*. Takes just short of an hour.

I think you will have better results if you cook at the higher temps than cooking at 210. By high temps, I mean 300 or 325. Plus, if you go that high you avoid waking up in the wee hours of the morning.

Back