Brisket timing dilema

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm in charge of bringing a brisket to a church luncheon on Sunday. Serve time is 12:30. I have a 14# packer. The last one I did this size took about 16 hours to cook if I remember correctly. Going to cook one boneless butt on the top shelf, brisket on the bottom (love the butt basting the brisket).
Here's the dilema. I have to leave at 3:30 Saturday afternoon for a work banquet, and won't get back until shortly after 10:00 pm. I'm concerned if I put the brisket on at 3:30, it will finish too early, and after 10, too late. Wondering if it makes sense to do a MM cook, but start with cool water in the pan instead of hot, and only leave one bottom vent open in the hopes of maintaining closer to a 200 temp until I get back home? Would like this to finish around 9:30 and get a 3 hour rest. Appreciate any suggestions.

Trying to time and finish a long cook at or near a specified serving time is setting one's self up for disaster. Start it earlier rather than later. Cook at a reasonable temp, rather than a too-low one like 200° (you risk drying it out). Let it be done when it's done. Slice and refigerate if you see can't hold it above 140° until the luncheon, and then reheat gently just before serving time.

I would do it early as well. Timing occassionally works perfectly, often close enough, other times not at all--not good when you have to be somewhere and you're the one bringing the food!

If you know you'll need to reheat I'd recommend resting the brisket briefly then cooling it quickly and slicing after reheating. (Your choice, but I think brisket reheats better left whole.) Here is an approach I use.

Thanks Doug and Kevin!
After reviewing my cooking logs from a previous cook, and considering that this brisket is 2 pounds heavier than in the past, 17-18 hours is a likely cook time, so starting "normally" at 3:30 should work out just fine. Weather has cooled quite a bit as well. Fortunately the WSM is well seasoned now and holds temps like a champ, so I think everything will work out just fine.
Todd

Back